Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any tips for playing lead

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 5/5
    Given: 22/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
    KNOW YOUR POSITION—LEAD

The Lead is the backbone of any team. There is an old saying that you cannot win without a good Lead. This is only a half truth. You can win but its very hard work.
    A Lead has specific duties. They are:-

• Lay the mat where directed by the Skip
    • ·Roll the Jack to the length asked by the Skip (any practice session should include some ends of rolling the Jack)
    • Help the Skip align the Jack
    • Put two close bowls around the Jack.

The last duty is the one that causes most concern. The average club Lead thinks getting a shot is the most important aspect. It is not. The measure of any Leads success is the number of times he has close bowls. His job is to set up the head for his team mates.
    The major attribute of a Lead, other than being a very good draw player, is discipline. He must be prepared to set up the head end after end even though often the opposition will attack his bowls. It takes will power to keep playing a steady draw game while other players have more spectacular shots to play. Another point is a good Lead does not change his hand because of a “bowl in his eye”. He plays around or under it and if he hits it he still has a good second shot.
    Good Leads are as scarce as hens teeth. A competent Lead is always assured of a place in a good team. One authority said that the first position he recruits when setting up a competitive team is the Lead.
    There is nothing original about the above comments. They merely repeat what every good authority on bowls says. I will be only too happy to talk to anyone who wishes to know more about the position.

PRACTICE FOR LEADS

Your practice routines should be directed toward the position in which you would like to specialize. Each position in a team has a role to play and each role requires specific skills.
    For example, a Lead has to be able to roll the Jack accurately—not so much as dead straight but certainly to a required length. Therefore any practice routine for a Lead must include a number of ends devoted to rolling the Jack to short, medium and long ends. Importantly, any practice session should be measured as Rick
    Dawson pointed out in his article. Set up targets using anything available (paper cups, other Jacks, tennis balls or even kitty markers) and keep a record of how many times you can put a Jack within 1 metre of your target (distance wise—not necessarily straight) over, say 6 ends—2 short, 2 medium and 2 long.

The other role of a Lead is to put in 2 close bowls. There are a number of tests available for players to measure their drawing skills. Do a test and record your result. The next time do it again and see if you have improved. Also you can try bowling around a “bowl in your eye” as a variation to the normal drawing practice.
    Fantastic Advice thanks!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

Default Jack length

Practise sending the Jack down so you can always send it to the skips feet. Getting this right is more important than getting close to the jack.

Thumbs Up/Down

When I first started I was told, one each side and one at the back of the jack.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 22/1
    Given: 10/1

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by widgetwilk View Post
    When I first started I was told, one each side and one at the back of the jack.
    Leads should always have a good sense of humour and enjoy watching the rest of the Rink trying to get out of the hole they've dug for them !

Thumbs Up/Down

What annoys me with playing lead is if you get your 3 woods in a brilliant position the following players knock they all out of the way, that needs a good sense of humor.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 59/0
    Given: 11/0

It can be a frustrating place to play with your bowls being a target for those that come after you but know this - if you have gotten them close it gives your team a lot more options later.

Absolutely the worst thing a lead can do though is play consistently short. If you are going to be a yard away, please make it behind instead of in front!
    Commonwealth Games Technical Official - Glasgow 2014 - now ExUmpire and non ITO.

Please note any opinions stated now that I no longer have any official status are my own.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by EdinburghExUmp View Post
    It can be a frustrating place to play with your bowls being a target for those that come after you but know this - if you have gotten them close it gives your team a lot more options later.

Absolutely the worst thing a lead can do though is play consistently short. If you are going to be a yard away, please make it behind instead of in front!
    Agree with that , I was always being told-off for putting 'blockers' in with my lead woods,

Love your 'Know your Position' have you any more on No 2 or Skip.??

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 54/16
    Given: 2/2

Quote Originally Posted by bedlam on the green View Post
    My first ever comp this coming monday and im lead, i have been practicing
    playing lead.
    its 4 balls so it could be the safer bet then bowling last.

Any tips?
    Take notice of what your opponent is doing, he will bebowling his favourite hand, if it is the opposite one toyours andhe is outbowling you thenput some up on his hand,you may make him change. Iremember onematch when the opponentjumpedonthe mat the minute i stepped off, istarted to slowly walk backwards on to it, he got annoyed,after that he started to rush his delivery not sure why.Take your time you know he is in a hurry to get on the mat.He wants to rush make that difficult for him.most of all come off the rink at . the end knowing you have done all you can to win
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0

Quote Originally Posted by slavedata View Post
    Practise sending the Jack down so you can always send it to the skips feet. Getting this right is more important than getting close to the jack.
    This is such an underrated skill. Recently, we were getting hammered at a certain length. After making a borderline lucky conversion shot and getting the point, I called for a change of length and the lead rolled it right to the length where we were getting killed.