Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cost to maintain bowling green

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

Default Cost to maintain bowling green

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Hi there is there anyone out with any kind of idea on what it costs them to maintain a bowling green per year, cheers.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 6/2
    Given: 2/0

About 9 grand a year for us that includes the basics of maintaining a green if we want the green ironed or whatever it will be an additional cost.Hope this helps.We think we get a good deal.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 6/2

shearer. i cant help on uk cost. but what ya need to consider. is, what do ya get for ya money. labour, fertilisers, fungicides, herbercides, insecticides. is machinary and its maintence included. watering. then, how often is it cut. do you get it renovated, if so are all costs included. so is it for the season only or a full 12 months.

just to give an example in oz. some clubs go for the works, some just for labour. all the clubs i contract out are labour only. clubs this way are being smart in my eyes. if they wanted the works. i'd have to consider, what if. like, should i cover an extra x amount for the diseases i might get. see if the green doesnt get them, more money in my pocket. (hope that makes sense). because what can happen (please understand, i'm not saying it will), instead of a full bag of fertiliser, just use two thirds, this keeps the cost down.

Thumbs Up/Down

Just we have a qualified green keeper who is retiring from his job in the T.A next so labour would be free.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 5/1
    Given: 2/0

If you are thinking of maintaining the green yourself and taking it over from the council, make sure you do your homework many have taken the plunge only to regret it.

You need to consider the whole site, you may find that you sign for the whole site attached to the green, clubhouse and all repairs/ paths /irrigation equipment/ electricity/ water bill/ hedges or fencing etc etc

Also consider the costs apart from labour and materials . you will need machinery and storage as well, and insurance to cover it, and service costs to maintain it. you will also need to supply insurance cover if it is on council land normally around 5 million not expensive but another cost to cover.

So tread carefully if you go down this route as you may find the expense way greater than the club can afford, but if you can get the council to pay you for taking it off there hands at a cheaper price sometimes they will support you with a grant, but sometimes clubs have paid the council a 1 fee to them. leaving the club with all the costs associated.

Out of interest how much does a member pay?

Thumbs Up/Down

We have a meeting with the council at the end of September to get the problems about the green this year, it's the first year we have had watering system we ask how often it is been watered and park keeper tells you how much he has had it on but we don't know what the council are telling him as the green looks lush and he has cut it right down but green still softish to walk on and pushy for pace, but the council go in for this Northumberland in Bloom for a award for the council so the green look beautiful but not necessary playing good pace.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 7/6
    Given: 5/0

We spend 2/4000.....with 100% self help.
    All machinery is kept in top order and replaced when required.

PS. We never use 'Top Dressing'.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 12/0
    Given: 3/0

shearer, any news on how the meeting went?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 12/0
    Given: 3/0

a recent post on another thread caught my eye. A member complaining that they paid 75 subs and all they got for that was a 'cabbage patch' green. Once again I'm finding myself bemused how bowlers think that they are going to get a reasonable surface for 75 when you have to factor in paid employment along with other associated costs of maintaining a bowls green ie, cost of materials, machinery, repairs and servicing. A club with 100 members paying 75 brings in a total subscription income of 7,500. That is not going to pay all of the associated costs as mentioned so its not rocket science to see that you're not going to get your desired playing surface. My estimates for maintenance costs...... Self maintain for 4-5K (this does not include your initial equipment set up cost) part self maintain ie summer grass cutting/part paid contract labour (using clubs machinery) 9-11K. Full contract labour using clubs own machinery 12-14K. Full contract including contractors machinery 15-16K. Where clubs have own machinery, estimate includes 1K per annum to allocate to fund for replacement machinery

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 98/74
    Given: 100/8

Some interesting reading.

Some will be liked, some not.

Worth a read though.

http://www.bowlsaustralia.com.au/Por...Guidelines.pdf
    If anyone can save Bowls in England, this Man Can http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/foo...owls-team.html .