Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Major problem with my bowing

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 28/2
    Given: 1/0

Default Hips and shoulders

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wickey View Post
    I thought the whole point of the shooter stance was to get the right hip out of the way so that the arm could swing in a direct line under the aiming eye, which in effect creates a slightly diagonal swing across the body. Perhaps I misread Nevs video, in my original stance I always used to stand with my front foot forward a few inches ( clinic stance) but the extra weight on my right leg eventually played my right knee up so I tried the shooter stance which turns the back foot outwards somewhat but I could not get a consistant line, dissappointing because I wanted it to work.
    If you look at the final delivery position of Nev in the video the shoulders are parallel to the ground (very important ) and his hips are aiming inthe direction of delivery, bowling avcross the body is caused by dropping the shoulder on delivery, which is why the best players deliver the bowl with shoulders parallel to the ground
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Given: 0/0

Very interesting stuff, thanks.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 9/1
    Given: 12/0

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Sfraser3 View Post
    I know I set up good as I've watched the Nev Rodda videos online and adopt the shooter stance and my delivery is controlled and smooth. The first thing you said 'It sounds to me you are not bowling at the point you think you are' is the problem I'm sure. When I'm about to deliver I'm looking at a point on the banking usually on the rink next to me but when I bowl it turns out to be tight. I don't really have anyone I can ask to video me from different angles to see what I'm doing wrong. I'm going to try the card on the green to see if that helps me to find where my bowl is actually setting off. I know it's not really major but I wish I could aim roughly where everyone else does instead of having to look silly aiming away out further than what I should be.
    you may be stepping across the perceived line albeit unintentionally , i would certainly advocate bringing your sight line closer , try to keep head still and stand with both feet pointing in general direction of flow.
    opportunities come to those who wait , but how long do you wait ?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0

I view of replies on this thread I thought I would give the "shooter stance" another go, incidently I used to be a qualified marksman with a rifle and a ten times national and county archery champion so I know a thing or two about the shooter stance theory.it's about solidly standing still, not preparing to move forward. However I went to my outdoor club and got a whole box of jacks out, my theory being if you cant put a jack up straight it will show up any technique weaknesses.
    Shooter stance I sent 1/2 up straight , next both feet parralell facing down line again 3/4s up straight, next both feet together but slightly turned out ie 5 to and 5 past 12 o/c so more comfortable 90% straight, I mean straight within a foot each side of centre at far end of green. So I have given up on the shooter stance now because even if I stick with it and hopefully get better at it , it will only get me to where I'm already at. I did want the S S to work I promise you. So try it with jacks because bias is taken out of the equation and it tells you a lot imho. I do realise that there are good bowlers out there that cant put a straight jack up to save their life, but thats a different issue.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Wickey View Post
    I view of replies on this thread I thought I would give the "shooter stance" another go, incidently I used to be a qualified marksman with a rifle and a ten times national and county archery champion so I know a thing or two about the shooter stance theory.it's about solidly standing still, not preparing to move forward. However I went to my outdoor club and got a whole box of jacks out, my theory being if you cant put a jack up straight it will show up any technique weaknesses.
    Shooter stance I sent 1/2 up straight , next both feet parralell facing down line again 3/4s up straight, next both feet together but slightly turned out ie 5 to and 5 past 12 o/c so more comfortable 90% straight, I mean straight within a foot each side of centre at far end of green. So I have given up on the shooter stance now because even if I stick with it and hopefully get better at it , it will only get me to where I'm already at. I did want the S S to work I promise you. So try it with jacks because bias is taken out of the equation and it tells you a lot imho. I do realise that there are good bowlers out there that cant put a straight jack up to save their life, but thats a different issue.
    Great reply, at least you tried it,and your results are interesting,one of the main uses of the S.S is with older bowlers who find balance a problem,when watching bowlers one of the greatest problems i see is there balance at the point of delivery,and there wobbly follow through with the standard recognised stance,or in fact non existent follow through,of course you are right about jack delivery, many cannot do to any degree of accuracy,and the failure is highlighted by there delivery,usually caused by being unable to use the arm as a pendelum and twisting the hand trying to help the jack, which is what they do with a bowl also,resulting in a tendency to always bowl narrow JH
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0

I've finally found out what I was doing wrong after all this time. I went down the indoor today for a practice and a well known bowler was in with his wife. I asked him if he could point out what I was doing wrong and he had me sorted within half an hour. It turns out my stepping out foot was narrowing as it moved forward causing me to throw the bowl on a tight line back hand and forehand. He drew a mark on the carpet with chalk of where the foot should be landing and bang straight away my bowl was on the perfect line and I didn't need to look a full rink down. I honestly couldn't be thankful enough as it's been playing with my mind for years now and I'm so buzzing for the outdoor season coming up now I can grass my bowls the same as everyone else. Thanks for all your replies, took a good few tips from them to help my game!

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Sfraser3 View Post
    I've finally found out what I was doing wrong after all this time. I went down the indoor today for a practice and a well known bowler was in with his wife. I asked him if he could point out what I was doing wrong and he had me sorted within half an hour. It turns out my stepping out foot was narrowing as it moved forward causing me to throw the bowl on a tight line back hand and forehand. He drew a mark on the carpet with chalk of where the foot should be landing and bang straight away my bowl was on the perfect line and I didn't need to look a full rink down. I honestly couldn't be thankful enough as it's been playing with my mind for years now and I'm so buzzing for the outdoor season coming up now I can grass my bowls the same as everyone else. Thanks for all your replies, took a good few tips from them to help my game!
    Great news it highlights the fact that problems can be sorted by seeking advice, many will not go down this route,but you cannot watch yourself bowl without video etc. Problems can be seen by a good coach.Tennis is a good example of this when all the best players have a coach,many of these coaches were not the best players in the world, but can spot mistakes creeping in early, most bowlers cannot afford that luxury,but help is out there if you ask
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0

Okay, I know this thread is a year old, BUT, the following may help others who come here... my advice would be to get help from your fellow players, and the top players of the Club.

This is my fourth year playing for the Club, and yet I've never felt I've been very accurate, putting that down to not having the time to go and practice very much - as I am employed.

However, this year, during our "play bowls" day, I got some advice from a couple of the other members after I had mentioned that someone else was more accurate using my woods than I was. They went through a couple of things with me, and I noticed an immediate improvement.

If others in the Club haven't given you advice yet, it maybe because you haven't asked. Some people don't like receiving unsolicited advice, so members won't give it unless you seek them out.
    Promotional Products is my job...
    Bowls is my passion.