Thread: Seeing games out

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/1
    Given: 0/0

Default Seeing games out

-1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or tips for "seeing out games" when you have a large lead at the back end of the game?

I've had a few games this year where our team have thrown away large leads (6-10 shots) with 6 or fewer ends to play. Its almost got to a point where I worry to have a large lead in case I lose it!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 7/6
    Given: 5/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    If you worry about losing I assume the experts will say that you will lose anyway.
    Luckily I am too old to worry but sometimes afterwards I taste a little embarrassment

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0

All players to focus, keep it simple and be happy with 1 up or 1 down especially over the last 5-6 ends. Having Skips that can build heads and read the situation is also important so that your team plays covering bowls and therefore don't drop multiples at this essential time in the game.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0

Forget what the score is! Yes, I know that's easier said than done, but if you think you have a big cushion, you're likely to become too complacent and then that will affect your play.

So, the best thing to do, when you step up to the mat, is to tell yourself, you need to win this end. Don't let yourself think "It doesn't matter if I drop a point or two, we've such a huge lead".

This is a trap that many sports people fall into. A perfect example would be the last day of the 2012 Golf Open at Royal Lytham & St Annes, when Adam Scott was six shots ahead of Ernie Els. But possibly because he became too complacent, Adam Scott ended up losing to Ernie Els and failed to pick up the 900,000 prize money.

So, forget the score, and every time you go to the mat you play to win the end.