Thread: Sprinkler systems

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

Default Sprinkler systems

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Has anybody ever heard of, or experienced a system, whereby a trench is dug through a perfectly good green to install a pop up sprinkler in the middle?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 6/4
    Given: 5/0

No but the trench bit sounds interesting!
    I know that some of the utility companies can insert small bore pipes without disturbing the surface.....over what distance I don't know.
    When we were connected to gas they inserted a pipe under my concrete drive...about 15 meters.
    HTH.
    PS. It seems to be a fairly standard procedure.
    Last edited by EJB; 15-09-2017 at 08:44 AM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 59/0
    Given: 11/0

Quote Originally Posted by Andyetfc2014 View Post
    Has anybody ever heard of, or experienced a system, whereby a trench is dug through a perfectly good green to install a pop up sprinkler in the middle?
    Why would you want a sprinkler head in the middle?

The technique used (as alluded to by EJB) is called moling - generally it will have little effect on the surface above the line of the track.
    Commonwealth Games Technical Official - Glasgow 2014 - now ExUmpire and non ITO.

Please note any opinions stated now that I no longer have any official status are my own.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Given: 0/0

Quote Originally Posted by EdinburghExUmp View Post

The technique used (as alluded to by EJB) is called moling - generally it will have little effect on the surface above the line of the track.
    No one at our club wants this. It appears there are expert contractors who want it! Don't even ask me who is making the decision.😡

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 26/2
    Given: 18/4

Quote Originally Posted by Andyetfc2014 View Post
    No one at our club wants this. It appears there are expert contractors who want it! Don't even ask me who is making the decision.
    It's either that they're not expert contractors (an expert would know not to put a sprinkler in the middle of the green or dig a trrench to do it) or it's a cost saving exercise to save having to install 4 heads, one on each side. Either way, an idiot is involved...

Thumbs Up/Down
    Given: 4/0

Quote Originally Posted by EdinburghExUmp View Post

Pop ups around the edge of the green dump 80% of the water in the middle of the green.....not right having a pop up in the middle, but that's the direction it should be watered from.
    Missing is easy.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 24/1
    Given: 1/0

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yard Up View Post
    Pop ups around the edge of the green dump 80% of the water in the middle of the green.....not right having a pop up in the middle, but that's the direction it should be watered from.
    There is a recognised system using 1 sprinkler head in the middle of the green it has a range of 35Metres,more than adequote for most greens, and ensures an even coverage, my own view is it is not needed, and generally greens are overwatered because mamy greenkeepers think it should have stripes and,ooklike a front lawn,slow greens are driving people away from outdoor bowls. bowls greens should be firm andrun at a good pace, so tne game is not like skittles,my own outdoor green runs at 15-16 secs all season
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 59/0
    Given: 11/0

Quote Originally Posted by john haydock View Post
    There is a recognised system using 1 sprinkler head in the middle of the green it has a range of 35Metres,more than adequote for most greens, and ensures an even coverage, my own view is it is not needed, and generally greens are overwatered because mamy greenkeepers think it should have stripes and,ooklike a front lawn,slow greens are driving people away from outdoor bowls. bowls greens should be firm andrun at a good pace, so tne game is not like skittles,my own outdoor green runs at 15-16 secs all season
    The best greens to play on (fast greens with decent swings) generally look awful as they are have a tendency to be hard and slightly brown due to very limited watering.
    Commonwealth Games Technical Official - Glasgow 2014 - now ExUmpire and non ITO.

Please note any opinions stated now that I no longer have any official status are my own.