Thread: Smart Watches

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Given: 5/0

Default Smart Watches

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    What, if anything, are other jurisdictions doing about things like smart watches?

We don't allow phones on the green, but Santa left me a gift that I would have concerns about. My watch takes its own sim card, and I could easily use it to communicate with someone else and receive images.

My watch is a bit chunky, but some of the models are fairly slim and wouldn't be conspicuous.

If we're going to do something about them, how do we enforce restrictions? Are we going to have to add accessories to our bowl and shoe inspections?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 5/0
    Given: 31/0

Not entirely sure why this is a problem? They're not going to make you a better player. Maybe have a general technology clause in the rules? But, TBH, if someone is playing around with their phone, tablet, smart watch or dongle then it isn't going to do their concentration any good. It's not as if they are going to be receiving advice on shot selection, or similar coaching advice.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by happymrjames View Post
    It's not as if they are going to be receiving advice on shot selection, or similar coaching advice.
    That's exactly what I'm wondering about. I could have an NFL-sized coaching staff sending me information through my wrist.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 5/0
    Given: 31/0

I think we're safe on that one

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 58/0
    Given: 11/0

Given the size of a smart watch screen I sincerely doubt there would be enough space to include enough information to be of any advantage to a player.
    Commonwealth Games Technical Official - Glasgow 2014 - now ExUmpire and non ITO.

Please note any opinions stated now that I no longer have any official status are my own.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by EdinburghExUmp View Post
    Given the size of a smart watch screen I sincerely doubt there would be enough space to include enough information to be of any advantage to a player.
    I can watch video on mine.