Thread: Mat Positioning - One foot on & one foot off?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 7/5
    Given: 27/0

Question Mat Positioning - One foot on & one foot off?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    So I've been watching the Indoor World Championships and have noticed quite a lot of the players have this mat positioning deployed when delivering.

I was just wondering if there are any advantages to doing this or is it purely on the way that they have learned? Also do you do this too?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 66/17
    Given: 2/2

Quote Originally Posted by Falky View Post
    So I've been watching the Indoor World Championships and have noticed quite a lot of the players have this mat positioning deployed when delivering.

I was just wondering if there are any advantages to doing this or is it purely on the way that they have learned? Also do you do this too?
    This would be the position adopted by the greater percentage of bowlers, the lead foot goes forward,and coincides with the forward movement of the bowling arm.bowling with both feet on the mat froma fixed stance is not as common,but is more prevelant in senior bowlers who started playing later in life as it aids stability and balance.when coaching it is the last thing. I try, after the step forwardmethod,or the shooter stance,thenfixedstance, all methods work, but you seldom see top bowlers usinga fixed stance
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 4/6
    Given: 1/0

The easiest method and smoothest way to bowl, if your right handed have your right foot on the mat and step forward with your left foot, if your left handed have your left foot on the mat and step forward with your right foot. It's a natural walking step and your arm will automatically go backwards and then swing forwards as you release the bowl. I'm surprised this natural stance on the mat is not in the laws of the game to help bowlers perform a smooth action, unless of course you have a disability preventing you from bowling this way.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    The easiest method and smoothest way to bowl, if your right handed have your right foot on the mat and step forward with your left foot, if your left handed have your left foot on the mat and step forward with your right foot. It's a natural walking step and your arm will automatically go backwards and then swing forwards as you release the bowl. I'm surprised this natural stance on the mat is not in the laws of the game to help bowlers perform a smooth action, unless of course you have a disability preventing you from bowling this way.
    Hi Chuck said i would not reply on here again but cannot miss this one, Your theory is fine but a law would mean 95% of bowlers would be breaking the law,i could show you some bowlers using your method that do not have smooth deliveries,take for example a player on a carpet speed 20 secs. Using your method disaster because the resulting backswing would be to great ,The law allows for many styles of delivery to be used, and that it was happens.Who would monitor your law? Umpire looking after 6 rinks? What would the penalty be for deviation? Or maybe your remark was tongue in cheek! I have coached many players for over 20 years,all standards and they end up with a delivery that works best for them, Some very good players bounce.a delivery John Price and Alison Merrion spring to mind , The Crystal mark laws tell a player what he should do, and that is what laws are for, what you do is a choice based on your ability, and often your desire to improve, so try all methods which are legal,pickthe one which works for you
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down

You say 95% would be breaking the law, that is a high percentage which I find hard to believe. Maybe I worded it wrong, for a smooth delivery it's better to have your right foot on the mat if your bowling right handed or your left foot on the mat if your bowling left handed.

Thumbs Up/Down

You say 95% would be breaking the law, that is a high percentage which I find hard to believe. Maybe I worded it wrong, for a smooth delivery it's better to have your right foot on the mat if your bowling right handed or your left foot on the mat if your bowling left handed.
    So why not just have both feet on the mat? My 95% comes from the fact if your law was introduced i cannot think of anyone in my club who starts there delivery with only one foot on the mat
    Last edited by john haydock; 05-01-2021 at 09:01 PM.
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down

Hi John, no problem with both feet on the mat, I'm saying if your right handed bowl with your right foot on the mat, if your left handed bowl with your left foot on the mat, the other foot is only for balance.

Thumbs Up/Down

Hi John, no problem with both feet on the mat, I'm saying if your right handed bowl with your right foot on the mat, if your left handed bowl with your left foot on the mat, the other foot is only for balance.
    You have lost me now, balance is provided by both feet in the stance,I think you are now trying to say” stand on the mat with your left foot behind your right if you are right handed”, then bring your left foot forward , if you are saying that, then the distance you step forward will influence the weight of shot.nothing new in that,We coach generally that you start with the feet pointing down the intended line (except if balance is a problem in which case the right foot would turn out. As in shooter stance,) right handed bowler, both feet are approx equal distance from front of mat. Of course speed of green has to be considered,your method would be most unsuitable on a green running at say 18-20 secs,but on a slow green would work but so would my method.I think you will find balance is improved when both feet are positioned side by side about 6inches apart.The best example i can think of is standing talking to someone would you stand left foot behind right.! Interesting to chat with you
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by john haydock View Post
    You have lost me now, balance is provided by both feet in the stance,I think you are now trying to say” stand on the mat with your left foot behind your right if you are right handed”, then bring your left foot forward , if you are saying that, then the distance you step forward will influence the weight of shot.nothing new in that,We coach generally that you start with the feet pointing down the intended line (except if balance is a problem in which case the right foot would turn out. As in shooter stance,) right handed bowler, both feet are approx equal distance from front of mat. Of course speed of green has to be considered,your method would be most unsuitable on a green running at say 18-20 secs,but on a slow green would work but so would my method.I think you will find balance is improved when both feet are positioned side by side about 6inches apart.The best example i can think of is standing talking to someone would you stand left foot behind right.! Interesting to chat with you
    Hi Chuck would like to discuss with you more about this JH
    No Grey Areas