Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation)

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

Question GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    With the deadline of 25th May 2018 fast approaching I wonder what (if any) preparations your club has made in preparation to comply with the new regulations regarding the holding and storage of members personal information (Names, addresses, telephone numbers, email addresses). Have any club secretaries produced and circulated member consent forms which are compliant with the new regulations? Have any Fixture Secretaries produced and circulated consent forms which will enable them to hold and store other club details (i.e. their fixture secretaries, club captains, etc) personal information which are compliant with the new regulations?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Given: 6/0

Can you say where this regulation can be viewed old fruit because I'm sure that every Sec and Match sec does have lists of other clubs officers, club members details etc ! Does it just need a letter / e mail to people to say "is it ok if I keep your details on my list " ?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 6/4
    Given: 5/0

There are many sources for information from local councils, governing bodies and obviously lots on a Google search.

One example:-

https://www.itgovernance.co.uk/data-...ion-regulation

HTH.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Given: 6/0

Thanks

Thumbs Up/Down

In my opinion fixture secretaries and club secretaries should use an email address specific to their role and not their named personal email address. For example xxxBC.matchsecretary@xxmail.com
    This has several advantages. It doesn't identify an individual, it can easily be passed to the next officer to take on the role, and an auto-forward can be set up to send to others (including that officer's personal email), perhaps an assistant secretary for example. Also, it keeps club business separate to personal emails. Most clubs now use a generic email address, these should be set up to auto-forward to the management committee, again this avoids revealing a personal email address and enables more than one person to receive important information, from that club's county association for example.

Thumbs Up/Down

I got some guidance from Bowls Scotland. In my opinion this is a ridiculous burden to place on bowling clubs. I am the club secretary and have now to put in place policies and get members permission to process their personal details which they have already freely provided and I have never had any issues with how their information is used. Our elected reps should have tried to secure some exemptions for voluntary amateur sports clubs.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 26/2
    Given: 18/4

Quote Originally Posted by 2bowlking View Post
    I got some guidance from Bowls Scotland. In my opinion this is a ridiculous burden to place on bowling clubs. I am the club secretary and have now to put in place policies and get members permission to process their personal details which they have already freely provided and I have never had any issues with how their information is used. Our elected reps should have tried to secure some exemptions for voluntary amateur sports clubs.
    Burden, yes... ridiculous, no. This is about your data, my data, everyone who comes on here. You're damn sure you want your data protected from being used for purposes of corporate gain without your knowledge or consent... for example: A couple of years ago, the Cameron government wanted to use all your data held by GPs and the NHS to sell to pharmaceutical companies and health insurance companies to supposedly use for research purposes. But there was nothing in place to stop your data from identifying you and being used to push your health insurance policies up if you were considered to be likely to claim against them in the future. It was called Care Data (you can read a brief article about it here)and what the government didn't tell you was that you could opt out of your data being shared simply by writing to your GP and saying so. There was enormous pressure from certain groups and I believe it has now been abandoned... for the time being. So this GDPR is there to protect you and your data from being ripped off in the future because now, instead of having to opt OUT, you have to opt IN to share your data.

Regarding bowls clubs and exemption, how could that be policed? What would happen if a data collecting company saw a loophole in the system, whereby bowls clubs exempt from seeking consent from their members for holding or sharing members details, offered money to them to do so? It would all come down to scruples... how many struggling clubs would submit to the lure of easy cash?

I'm just thankful we were in the EU for long enough for it to be transferred into UK law, otherwise it'd have been a data bun fight post-brexit!

It's good to see lots of help and advice being given to clubs outside Scotland by Bowls England... oh..no... wait...
    Last edited by Batman Jazz; 09-05-2018 at 11:31 AM. Reason: added link

Thumbs Up/Down

There is a world of difference between a bowling club managed by amateur volunteers and large bodies like NHS, Amazon etc. I can't envisage a scenario where the personal data held by a bowling club would be worth money to anybody. Most of the information held is already in the public domain (name, address, phone number)! You seem to be a bit paranoid - understandable in the case of politicians but hardly relevant to a bowling club imo!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 26/2
    Given: 18/4

Don't forget there is also the matter of data security and this applies even more to the local bowling club with member data stored on a committee member's computer, which doesn't have the benefit of an in-house company IT department looking after the security of the system. This is also what GDPR is for... and before you again question the value of this data, identity fraud is a serious business.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Jazz View Post
    Don't forget there is also the matter of data security and this applies even more to the local bowling club with member data stored on a committee member's computer, which doesn't have the benefit of an in-house company IT department looking after the security of the system. This is also what GDPR is for... and before you again question the value of this data, identity fraud is a serious business.
    I am aware that ID theft is serious but why would someone steal someone's ID from a bowling club's records when the info is already in the public domain (in most cases) - e.g. electoral register, telephone directory. I think you are over reacting but if you feel so strongly about it then who am I to question you?