Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation)

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 6/4
    Given: 5/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bowlking View Post
    I am aware that ID theft is serious but why would someone steal someone's ID from a bowling club's records when the info is already in the public domain (in most cases) - e.g. electoral register, telephone directory. I think you are over reacting but if you feel so strongly about it then who am I to question you?
    It probably adds to the data they already have and may well be the missing key to an ID theft situation.
    All personal data is valuable....that's a fact....why give it for free!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

Quote Originally Posted by EJB View Post
    It probably adds to the data they already have and may well be the missing key to an ID theft situation.
    All personal data is valuable....that's a fact....why give it for free!
    The personal details I have as a club secretary are name, address, phone number and, for some members, email address. I would guess that these are the first things an ID thief would get very easily and would hardly be the missing key. Things like NI No., Passport No, driving licence details, date of birth might be missing keys and a bowling club would have no need to have this sort of info.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/1

GDPR is not primarily data security, it's about consent to be contacted, and how that consent was acquired.

I'd be astounded if a Bowling Club was ever subject to an investigation/prosecution and even if it did the fine is a 2% of global turnover so not something many clubs would have to worry about.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0

"Things like NI No., Passport No, driving licence details, date of birth might be missing keys and a bowling club would have no need to have this sort of info." - not if the club is a CASC (Community Amateur Sports Club): it is almost certain that the club would need the NI number of those on the management committee and/or otherwise a 'responsible ' individual, as it is one of the questions on the HMRC specimen form, completion and retention of which will be accepted by HMRC as evidence of having looked into the individual concerned to confirm their suitability for the role. Of course, if only the paper form is retained, with no electronic/computerised version, then it would not fall within the GDPR as I understand it.

We live in a mad world!

Chrisdb is right about the max. level of fine, but any investigation etc could result in a large amount of management time being taken up if investigated.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 9/0
    Given: 12/0

Quote Originally Posted by corptaxman View Post

Chrisdb is right about the max. level of fine, but any investigation etc could result in a large amount of management time being taken up if investigated.
    The maximum fine is actually 17 million (approx.) OR 4% of global revenue.

Albeit unlikely, 17m would be a lot for a bowls club but not for Facebook, Google etc.

Hence the stick of 4% of global revenue which is a lot for Facebook, Google etc. but not a factor for bowls clubs.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/1

Quote Originally Posted by GreenHares View Post
    The maximum fine is actually 17 million (approx.) OR 4% of global revenue.

Albeit unlikely, 17m would be a lot for a bowls club but not for Facebook, Google etc.

Hence the stick of 4% of global revenue which is a lot for Facebook, Google etc. but not a factor for bowls clubs.
    Yes true, the 4% is the higher tier fine but I took the view for this purpose that a bowling club would be pretty unlikely to qualify for this level...

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Strictly speaking, whichever 'tier' the offence falls within it is the higher of the two tests which could be the maximum fine - ie the higher of monetary level or the % level. However, the actual fine 'charged' will take into account a lot of factors such as the intentional nature of the infringement, how many people were affected and previous infringements by the club. Mostly, such legislation is applied with a 'light touch' to start with - and, given the minimal assets of most bowls clubs and the fairly small number of people likely to be involved, I doubt any significant fine would be involved to start with. However, it doesn't pay to flirt with the rules - a decent effort towards compliance is always sensible.