Thread: Indoor and outdoor

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

Default Indoor and outdoor

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Any thoughts on playing indoor and outdoor bowls during the summer? Does it mess up both games or do you adjust?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 24/1
    Given: 1/0

Default In and Out

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1915 View Post
    Any thoughts on playing indoor and outdoor bowls during the summer? Does it mess up both games or do you adjust?
    Ifind my delivery is so different in and out that it is two completelydifferent games,alot of that isdue these days due to a big increase invery heavy outdoor greens i mixed the two last year,and as i prefer indoor anyway,i dont think my game changed much. Not playing outdoors next year anyway,if you enjoy both at the same time play them,more and moreindoor clubs are gaining allyear round players,this season i amstarting 2 indoor leagues as well.Iguess if you play at the top level it may not be a good idea.In answer to your question it affected my ability to adjust to the outdoor heavy greens I have noticed the players who reach easy do not grass the bowl properly but release 2-3 inches above the surface
    Last edited by john haydock; 04-03-2018 at 04:08 PM.
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 7/0

Here in Hong Kong, we play a mix of indoor and outdoor all year round,
    So you get used to changing surface regularly. I donít believe it messes up your game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumbs Up/Down

Default Speed

Quote Originally Posted by cannonfodder View Post
    Here in Hong Kong, we play a mix of indoor and outdoor all year round,
    So you get used to changing surface regularly. I donít believe it messes up your game.

Any idea what the speed of your outdoor greens are,that would make a difference
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 7/0

Quote Originally Posted by john haydock View Post
    Any idea what the speed of your outdoor greens are,that would make a difference
    There is a lot of variation here. Outdoor grass greens vary between 8-12 seconds. Outdoor carpets are 12-15 seconds and indoor from 12- 17 seconds. Some carpets are onto wood but majority are to a concrete base. You just become adaptable, but home advantage can count for a lot - not so much to adjust for the speed but to understand where the runs are.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 6/4
    Given: 5/0

I believe that all the players who play in the 'World' indoor championships also play outdoors....so different game but just the same really

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by EJB View Post
    I believe that all the players who play in the 'World' indoor championships also play outdoors....so different game but just the same really
    possibly they do but the question was about playing indoor and outdoor inthe same season,i know for a fact most do not do that
    Last edited by john haydock; 10-03-2018 at 09:20 PM.
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by cannonfodder View Post
    There is a lot of variation here. Outdoor grass greens vary between 8-12 seconds. Outdoor carpets are 12-15 seconds and indoor from 12- 17 seconds. Some carpets are onto wood but majority are to a concrete base. You just become adaptable, but home advantage can count for a lot - not so much to adjust for the speed but to understand where the runs are.

Your outdoor greens are very slow then,i would think going from a club rink running at 10 secsto a 17 sec rink indoors would be a challenge.are your indoor greens that bad you have runs in them?I have never known of an indoor carpet being as slow as 12secs
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 6/4
    Given: 5/0

Quote Originally Posted by john haydock View Post
    possibly they do but the question was about playing indoor and outdoor inthe same season,i know for a fact most do not do that
    Perfectly true John...two games but not at the same time