Thread: Need for flexibility when Marking

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

Default Need for flexibility when Marking

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Law 42.2.5 states that the marker should “answer anyspecific question about the state of the head which is asked by the player inpossession of the rink”. The use of “specific” implies that the marker shouldanswer only the question asked (that is, the marker should not volunteeradditional information to that requested).

However, there could be a condition under which it isappropriate for the marker to show some flexibility when providing information.

If, as a player is walking back towards the mat aftervisiting the head, a bowl falls over and the head is altered as a result, is itreasonable for the marker to tell the player that the head has changed beforethe player reaches the mat?

While, technically speaking, no question was asked of themarker, players generally accept that providing this information is goodsportsmanship and is in accordance with the spirit and etiquette of the game.Would you agree with this?

If I replaced the words “before the player reaches the mat”with “before the player delivers the next bowl”, would the marker breach thePossession of the Rink law?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 77/6
    Given: 23/5

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    This old chestnut
    OK here is a scenario which will prove that answering a question properly will prevent a punch up:
    Red is holding 2 shots, Blue player is on the mat asking questions
    Blue: "Am I holding one"
    Marker: "No"
    Blue: "Am I one down"
    Blue: "well who the hell is holding then"
    Marker: "You are"
    Blue: "How Many"
    Marker: "two"
    Blue: "??$$""£$$%"

How about a proper marker does it this way
    Marker: "No, you are two down"
    Blue: "Thankyou"

This has been covered numerous times before on here

Your question about alerting a player to a change in the head. Absolutely, yes, if the payer has seen the head and it changes before he gets to the mat to deliver then I would expect a marker to say so - I would also expect the opponent to do the same if he is at the head too.

A Marker cannot be in breach of Rink Possession, Check out Law 13!!
    It's a simple game really!!!
    Commonwealth Games Technical Official - Manchester 2002, Melbourne 2006, Delhi 2010, Glasgow 2014

www.allanthornhill.com or Contact me directly @ Ask Umpy

Any comments made by me on this Forum are my personal opinions only and not those of the World Bowls Laws Committee or the English Bowls Umpires Association

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 6/0

Hello. It is nearly twenty years since i was an umpire, but this season i seem to have become flavour of the month as a marker among experienced players. Your piece re change of head when player leaves. I had a moment when that happened, i expected the opposing player to say something, but nothing was forthcoming. It was resolved by the player to bowl asking another question before playing. In that scenario should the marker be proactive, if the opposing player keeps quiet. I have another couple of games to do at present and dont want to jump the gun if the same situation arises. Thankyou

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 24/1
    Given: 1/0

Quote Originally Posted by showaddy View Post
    Hello. It is nearly twenty years since i was an umpire, but this season i seem to have become flavour of the month as a marker among experienced players. Your piece re change of head when player leaves. I had a moment when that happened, i expected the opposing player to say something, but nothing was forthcoming. It was resolved by the player to bowl asking another question before playing. In that scenario should the marker be proactive, if the opposing player keeps quiet. I have another couple of games to do at present and dont want to jump the gun if the same situation arises. Thankyou
    I think Umpy has already answered that if the opponent says nothing you should
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by showaddy View Post
    Absolutely, speak up and tell the player
    Commonwealth Games Technical Official - Manchester 2002, Melbourne 2006, Delhi 2010, Glasgow 2014

Any comments made by me on this Forum are my personal opinions only and not those of the World Bowls Laws Committee or the English Bowls Umpires Association

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 6/0

Quote Originally Posted by Umpy View Post
    Absolutely, speak up and tell the player

Ok cheers

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 9/0
    Given: 12/0

Quote Originally Posted by Umpy View Post
    This old chestnut
    OK here is a scenario which will prove that answering a question properly will prevent a punch up:
    Red is holding 2 shots, Blue player is on the mat asking questions
    Blue: "Am I one down"
    Blue: "well who the hell is holding then"
    Marker: "You are"
    Blue: "How Many"
    Marker: "two"
    Blue: "??$$""£$$%"
    Red is holding 2 ... oops!

Blue may add to his colourful language when he gets to the head!

Thumbs Up/Down

And that is exactly why mistakes happen!!!