Thread: To Play a Friendly or not ?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 2/0

Default To Play a Friendly or not ?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    As a newbie who has only been bowling for 2 years I would like to tap into the knowledge of far more experinced bowlers with my query. I play for 2 clubs - an all weather surface green club and a grass green club. Since I begun bowling in 2016, matches and roll ups have been continuos and I consider that I have made significant progress evidenced by winning 5 cups last summer season. My query is, that playing in the league for the all weather club, we are due to play our second match away in May against a club considered to field strong teams. Because our team is also considered strong at home on the all weather surface, playing away on grass is a different matter. Our good players can struggle, citing lack of playing practice on grass, as was proved in 2017 when only 2 away matches (of 8 ) were won. I would have thought that a logical answer would be to play an away friendly on grass in April to give the team practice on a far different surface. Putting this to the club captain, my idea was totally rejected and not necessary. What do the wise and experienced bowlers on the forum think of this response ?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 24/1
    Given: 1/0

Arrogant and short sighted springs to mind
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 59/0
    Given: 11/0

I would say that, with 2 out of 8 wins away from home, that your team needs a lot of practise on grass not just one game. You clearly, as a team have shortcomings that you are trying to address which your captain is for some reason choosing to ignore.

Unless your club captain has some other bright idea as to how to raise the performance, I would agree with John that it is arrogant and short sighted.
    Last edited by EdinburghExUmp; 12-03-2018 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Additional comment
    Commonwealth Games Technical Official - Glasgow 2014 - now ExUmpire and non ITO.

Please note any opinions stated now that I no longer have any official status are my own.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Given: 0/0

David Bryant, said in one of his books that when he comes back from the southern hemisphere it takes him about 3 weeks to get his game up to his standard due to the difference in green speed.
    When I go indoors from outdoor grass and vice versa it takes me severall sessions to get my game up to scratch.So your captain needs a different job ie barman.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Given: 2/0

Yes, Wickey, I would totally agree with David Bryant. By the time that away match comes up, the season would be about 4 weeks old. Playing for my grass green club I personally would have have played 4 friendlies and much more roll ups. Ironically since my post in early March, the captain has said he would like to step down and build us a new bar in the club house !

Thumbs Up/Down
    Given: 1/0

I am a member of 2 clubs, one all-weather and the other grass. Being able to practice on both is invaluable, especially early in the season when the grass greens are quite heavy and very much slower than the all-weather greens. Your captain, I respectfully suggest, is not doing everything he could/should to develop & improve your team.