Thread: The "yips" in bowls

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

Default The "yips" in bowls

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I have been playing bowls for 10 years, and the yips started last year. Back hand no problem, but forehand on release of bowls, my hand starts twisting and the bowl will go all over the place. What can I do, I feel like giving up bowls.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 24/1
    Given: 1/0

Default Yips

Quote Originally Posted by rosie View Post
    I have been playing bowls for 10 years, and the yips started last year. Back hand no problem, but forehand on release of bowls, my hand starts twisting and the bowl will go all over the place. What can I do, I feel like giving up bowls.
    Hi Rosie i developed this last year but the other way round,couple of things ineed toknow beforei can help,are you playing indoor or outside. Did you play any racket sports beforeyou took up bowls.What grip do you use ,claw cradle etc does it happen in practice,is it more prevalent under pressure. DONT GIVE UP J.H.
    Last edited by john haydock; 16-05-2018 at 07:27 AM.
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 59/0
    Given: 11/0

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The main things that might affect this are grip, your stance and your follow through. It is likely that the bowl is either slightly crossed in your hand giving it a wobble or that you are possibly whipping your arm across your body after delivery.

Grip - try to make sure the grooves on your bowl are running parallel to the delivery line in your hand (irrespective of the grip you use).

Stance - make sure you are standing with your shoulders facing the delivery line. Try to avoid being overly open (with your shoulders facing more the centreline) or overly closed (with your shoulders facing too far outwards). If you are too open or closed your body has the tendency to compensate for this by swinging your arm either in or outside the line.

Try to make sure you complete the follow through with your arm outstretched and with your finger tips pointing towards the delivery line - if you hand is following that line then the bowl will also follow it.
    Commonwealth Games Technical Official - Glasgow 2014 - now ExUmpire and non ITO.

Please note any opinions stated now that I no longer have any official status are my own.

Thumbs Up/Down

Default What are the yips

Quote Originally Posted by EdinburghExUmp View Post
    The main things that might affect this are grip, your stance and your follow through. It is likely that the bowl is either slightly crossed in your hand giving it a wobble or that you are possibly whipping your arm across your body after delivery.

Grip - try to make sure the grooves on your bowl are running parallel to the delivery line in your hand (irrespective of the grip you use).

Stance - make sure you are standing with your shoulders facing the delivery line. Try to avoid being overly open (with your shoulders facing more the centreline) or overly closed (with your shoulders facing too far outwards). If you are too open or closed your body has the tendency to compensate for this by swinging your arm either in or outside the line.

Try to make sure you complete the follow through with your arm outstretched and with your finger tips pointing towards the delivery line - if you hand is following that line then the bowl will also follow it.
    All very good solid advice,but what are the Yips. A neorological condition resulting in a co-condition of muscles that do not normally operate together, 1 extends the wrist, the other flexes it,all this happens involuntary resulting in the Yips
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0

Rosie. I got this myself, mine was just nerves in competitions, but it caused the same result, not being able to release the bowl smoothly. I can only suggest RELAX more. Easy to say if it is nerves, but it was the only way I got better. You have my simpathey.

Thumbs Up/Down

Default Nerves

Quote Originally Posted by richardhb View Post
    Rosie. I got this myself, mine was just nerves in competitions, but it caused the same result, not being able to release the bowl smoothly. I can only suggest RELAX more. Easy to say if it is nerves, but it was the only way I got better. You have my simpathey.
    Again good advice stay relaxed,but everyone who is nervous does not have the yips,believe me it can happen when you are practicing on your own,it is much deeper than that,but could be one of many combined factors.some surveys i carried out involving golfers who developed the yips had interesting results,this survey was conducted involving 500 players,and one interesting fact is that 77% of players who suffered ,had played racket sports at a good level,and never fully recovered from the afflication,in fact it carried over to other sports in later life (darts, bowls etc) technique is a factor but not the complete answer
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0

Rosie. One last but important thing, try singing a nursery rhyme while you bowling. A sport phycologist suggested this and it works, something like 'Mary had a little lamb' right until you release. Apparently it works on the brain, and you cannot 'yip' and say the rhyme at the same time. Try it and let us all know how it works please? Feedback works both ways?

Thumbs Up/Down

Default Singing JH

Quote Originally Posted by richardhb View Post
    Rosie. One last but important thing, try singing a nursery rhyme while you bowling. A sport phycologist suggested this and it works, something like 'Mary had a little lamb' right until you release. Apparently it works on the brain, and you cannot 'yip' and say the rhyme at the same time. Try it and let us all know how it works please? Feedback works both ways?
    I will certainly try thst one on someofmy pupils who are prone to YIP,JUST HOPE THEY SING IN TUNE,anything is worth trying,anyone who finds a cure could makemoney from many people.thanks for this one JH
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0

I would suggest NLP (which the nursery rhyme suggestion is alluding to in a way). Associate something else (e.g. rhyme) with the action (done correctly) and try to recreate every time. Try NOT to think about the desired objective (getting close) and more about the muscle memory/sensation of a smooth delivery for its own sake.

I suspect you don't get it so bad when trying to play several yards of weight for the bare jack ?
    I know what you're thinking. The face is familiar. Perhaps you've seen me on tv ???