Thread: Anyone change bowls when your green speeds up in dry spelld

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Given: 0/0

Default Anyone change bowls when your green speeds up in dry spelld

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Hi,
    I'm thinking of changing over to my indoor bowls now that our outdoor green has got so fast. I lost a county match recently to a couple one was using Tiger Pro's another was using Aero Defiance, our woods were going the long way round.Any thoughts on this regarding downsides etc. T,hanks

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 25/1
    Given: 1/0

Default Position

Quote Originally Posted by Wickey View Post
    Hi,
    I'm thinking of changing over to my indoor bowls now that our outdoor green has got so fast. I lost a county match recently to a couple one was using Tiger Pro's another was using Aero Defiance, our woods were going the long way round.Any thoughts on this regarding downsides etc. T,hanks
    Playing lead it would not be a problem,as Skip i would still want to know i can draw round there bowls.The defiance is definately to narrow,surprised the Tiger Pro was that straightour green outdoor runs about 16 secs and Tiger Pro is fine. I usually findif they have straight running bowls they have trouble on short jacks,that is certainly the case of fast indoor greens,was your outdoor green heavy,that would make there bowls even straighter.If both players had straight bowls how did the skip manage to avoid his leads bowls?
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down

The skip had the Tiger Pros but had to use the swingy side. Both good bowlers they play for the county.
    I was just thinking I might use my indoor woods next time, I'll give them ago I think and see what happens.I had a triples games a while back and the opposition number two was using Taylor Vector VS's, he did so much damage when we had a decent head, he was like a ten pin bowler lol.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 25/1
    Given: 1/0

Default Vs

Quote Originally Posted by Wickey View Post
    The skip had the Tiger Pros but had to use the swingy side. Both good bowlers they play for the county.
    I was just thinking I might use my indoor woods next time, I'll give them ago I think and see what happens.I had a triples games a while back and the opposition number two was using Taylor Vector VS's, he did so much damage when we had a decent head, he was like a ten pin bowler lol.
    Ihave noticed more and more VS being used everywhere,would not hurt to try.VS is probably the most popular bowl Taylor ever made
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down

Good thought, a coach who worked at a bowls shop once called them "magic woods" although I've never tried them indoors or out.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0

You can win with any bowl anywhere. However, since I play on a 15 - 16 second green everyday, I can tell you that moderately narrow bowls give you more margin for error. If you miss narrow, your bowl tends to stay on head and in play. The other advantage of narrow bowls is that if the grass green has been rained on but is getting wider and wider with a heavy section on the outsides of the rink, a narrow bowl allows you to play in the main center area that has dried out first.

Thumbs Up/Down

Thanks for the info, our greens are the fastest I've ever known them and I can see the logic, however I've been trying out some narrower woods but interestingly I seem to keep getting a better result with my wider ones, probably because I'm more used to them.I've got some important matches coming up and I'm too chicken to use the narrow ones that I use successfully indoors, I need to use them under pressure and get a good result I guess.What bothers me is the narrow woods follow runs in the grass more which take them off line more than the swingy ones.