Thread: Touchers moving a jack already in the ditch.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0
    Given: 0/0

Default Touchers moving a jack already in the ditch.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    An unusual situation occurred a couple of weeks ago. There was a toucher on the rink with the jack next to the back ditch (but still on the rink). A subsequent wood pushes the jack and follows it into the ditch. Then a couple of woods later the toucher is pushed into the ditch and displaces the jack. The opposition lead lent over the ditch to move the jack back to its original position which had, of course, been indicated by a white block we use. I told him because the toucher was still live he should leave the displaced jack where it moved to. There then followed several minutes debate as we are joined by the skips at the head. I got my way in the end but, without being unfriendly or impolite my opposite number insisted he was correct to move the jack back to its original place in the ditch, despite, as I've said, it being moved by a live toucher entering the ditch. Perhaps someone would care to confirm that my reading of the situation was correct?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 43/1
    Given: 10/0

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Adams View Post
    An unusual situation occurred a couple of weeks ago. There was a toucher on the rink with the jack next to the back ditch (but still on the rink). A subsequent wood pushes the jack and follows it into the ditch. Then a couple of woods later the toucher is pushed into the ditch and displaces the jack. The opposition lead lent over the ditch to move the jack back to its original position which had, of course, been indicated by a white block we use. I told him because the toucher was still live he should leave the displaced jack where it moved to. There then followed several minutes debate as we are joined by the skips at the head. I got my way in the end but, without being unfriendly or impolite my opposite number insisted he was correct to move the jack back to its original place in the ditch, despite, as I've said, it being moved by a live toucher entering the ditch. Perhaps someone would care to confirm that my reading of the situation was correct?
    You were correct
    Commonwealth Games Technical Official - Glasgow 2014, Gold Coast 2018
    Glasgow Bowling Association (GBA) President 2018

Any views stated on here are my personal views and do not represent the views of any association I am a member of

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 85/6
    Given: 26/5

What was the bowl that took the jack in the ditch - Toucher or non-toucher?
    If it was a non-toucher then it should be removed from the ditch and the jack remains when it is.
    If it is a toucher then both the toucher and jack should remain in the ditch.

When the toucher is knocked into the ditch and moves the jack it should remain where it is
    The relevant laws are:

18.3 The position of a jack in the ditch will be validly altered if the jack is moved by :
    18.3.1 a toucher in play

If a non-toucher is knocked into the ditch and moves the jack it should be replaced to its former position
    The relevant laws are:

38.5.3 If a jack at rest in the ditch is displaced by a non-toucher entering the ditch, an opponent or the marker must put it back to its former position

So your action was correct
    It's a simple game really!!!
    Commonwealth Games Technical Official - Manchester 2002, Melbourne 2006, Delhi 2010, Glasgow 2014, Gold Coast 2018

www.allanthornhill.com or Contact me directly @ Ask Umpy

Any comments made by me on this Forum are my personal opinions only and not those of the World Bowls Laws Committee or the English Bowls Umpires Association

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0

Thanks for your help both. I was fairly confident but have been thinking about it a while so it was bugging me a little. It's surprising how many players, even relatively experienced, don't know the rules.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 13/6

Is he a short mat player, that is a short mat law.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 85/6
    Given: 26/5

Didn’t think you had a ditch in short mat?
    It's a simple game really!!!
    Commonwealth Games Technical Official - Manchester 2002, Melbourne 2006, Delhi 2010, Glasgow 2014, Gold Coast 2018

www.allanthornhill.com or Contact me directly @ Ask Umpy

Any comments made by me on this Forum are my personal opinions only and not those of the World Bowls Laws Committee or the English Bowls Umpires Association

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 13/6

Law 3 (a) page 7 Shot Mat Bowls Laws of the Sport.