Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pairs competition with three woods

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0
    Given: 0/0

Default Pairs competition with three woods

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Some of our members have been complaining that four wood pairs takes too long, over three hours in some cases. One suggestion is reduce the number of woods each player has to three. Now I've seen international matches on TV use this format but was wondering if any other clubs play three-wood pairs?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 28/2
    Given: 1/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Adams View Post
    Some of our members have been complaining that four wood pairs takes too long, over three hours in some cases. One suggestion is reduce the number of woods each player has to three. Now I've seen international matches on TV use this format but was wondering if any other clubs play three-wood pairs?
    We often play 2wood pairs, but a lot of players are not keen because they like the cushion of the third bowl. But why not play 3bowl pairs if it gets more people playing go for it
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 6/0
    Given: 31/0

No reason why not for club competitions. Get it discussed and voted on at the AGM in time for next year.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 82/6
    Given: 24/5

if you don't want to reduce the number of bowls perhaps think about reducing the number of ends to 18 or even 15
    It's a simple game really!!!
    Commonwealth Games Technical Official - Manchester 2002, Melbourne 2006, Delhi 2010, Glasgow 2014, Gold Coast 2018

www.allanthornhill.com or Contact me directly @ Ask Umpy

Any comments made by me on this Forum are my personal opinions only and not those of the World Bowls Laws Committee or the English Bowls Umpires Association

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Umpy View Post
    if you don't want to reduce the number of bowls perhaps think about reducing the number of ends to 18 or even 15
    Thanks for the suggestions. We play pairs over 21 ends as that appears standard? Other ideas include make it first to 21 shots, or 21 ends, whichever comes first?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 28/2
    Given: 1/0

Default A.g.m

Quote Originally Posted by happymrjames View Post
    No reason why not for club competitions. Get it discussed and voted on at the AGM in time for next year.
    I never understand the reason for these matters to go to the AGM,no doubt there is an elected bowls committee, let them get on with running the club,and then if you do not like what they do, vote them out at the next AGM,we used to go down the AGM. Route and you get players voting on issues that they do not take part in anyway,Give the members voted to run the club the chance to do just that.
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 36/1
    Given: 13/7

No not three bowl pairs but at my first club we had separate two bowl and four bowl pairs comps. Both 21 ends if I remember correctly

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    World Bowls International Technical Official 2012 to 2017
    EBUA International Umpire
    EBUA Website Manager

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by john haydock View Post
    I never understand the reason for these matters to go to the AGM,no doubt there is an elected bowls committee, let them get on with running the club,and then if you do not like what they do, vote them out at the next AGM,we used to go down the AGM. Route and you get players voting on issues that they do not take part in anyway,Give the members voted to run the club the chance to do just that.
    We do have a competitions committee who will decide. The AGM is used to elect officials and amendments to the constitution.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 6/0
    Given: 31/0

....you would if you understood how our club is run. Everything goes through the committee (!). And, I mean absolutely everything. We have a full committee meeting every month, which can last for three hours. So, my observation was made with the constraints of my own club in mind. As a club, we would do well to sort out the admin/management structure to be a better format!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 4/0
    Given: 6/0

We have a 3 wood 18 ends competition.
    Always willing to learn!