Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do other club's select league teams?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0
    Given: 0/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike88 View Post
    In my club if you can walk you are in. More seriously everyone is given a chance irrespective of ability. I like that. Bowling is meant to be a social pastime and not just a sport, and not to be taken too seriously. You enter your name onto a list and the Captain decides whom to play. The system is fair and ensures the same old names are not selected each week and works well.

Surely it must be different when your Club is playing a league match though? I would assume people aren't just picked at random "irrespective of ability".
    Promotional Products is my job...
    Bowls is my passion.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 6/4
    Given: 5/0

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley_Price View Post
    Surely it must be different when your Club is playing a league match though? I would assume people aren't just picked at random "irrespective of ability".
    Why not?
    Members are getting fewer and fewer in many clubs....why tell some members 'You can't play you are not good enough'
    The days of Elite Prima Donnas are coming to a close!

PS. I certainly don't mean any offence it's just a fact of life...….the 'Lowest' (insert your own word) member of a club is just as important as all the others.
    Last edited by EJB; 16-07-2018 at 10:45 AM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Given: 7/0

Quote Originally Posted by EJB View Post
    Why not?
    Members are getting fewer and fewer in many clubs....why tell some members 'You can't play you are not good enough'

PS. I certainly don't mean any offence it's just a fact of life...….the 'Lowest' (insert your own word) member of a club is just as important as all the others.

But surely if you have something like 20 members and you need to field 16 or something for a competitive/league match, you would choose your best bowlers...no?
    You can always out-bowl your bad luck in every game!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 29/2
    Given: 1/0

Default The Reality

Why not?

PS. I certainly don't mean any offence it's just a fact of life....the 'Lowest' (insert your own word) member of a club is just as important as all the others.
    Last match of the season you need to win to avoid relegation,one of your top players cannot play,Do you put a novice in because it is. His turn,!!!!!!!!!!
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down

John, you infer that the so called 'Top' players are selected automatically for every game and the lesser players can play only when there are not enough 'Top' players.

I do appreciate that many clubs are still in the dark ages, and some simply slip back there on occasions!

PS. His or Her turn in our case.

Late edit. Falky you infer that 4 of your members are not allowed to play for the club.

Last edited by EJB; 16-07-2018 at 05:48 PM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Given: 7/0

John, you infer that the so called 'Top' players are selected automatically for every game and the lesser players can play only when there are not enough 'Top' players.

I do appreciate that many clubs are still in the dark ages, and some simply slip back there on occasions!

Late edit. Falky you infer that 4 of your members are not allowed to play for the club.

Na that isn't what im inferring. What I'm saying is for instance you have entered the Top Club competition, you wouldn't put out a casual side would you? You would always field your strongest members.

There are plenty of leagues and competitions for all members to play in, but it would seem silly to enter your club into leagues and competitions only to play a casual side with no synergy.
    You can always out-bowl your bad luck in every game!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

For me it's all about enjoyment. If I belonged to a club where the same old names play in a team each week then I would try another sport. If clubs do not recognise that bowls is a pastime where members (all members and not just the select few) are allowed to fully participate then the sport will die. How on earth can clubs attract new members if they continue to have cliques that play in teams week in and week out?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 29/2
    Given: 1/0

Default Leagues

If you have several club teams in different leagues, then certain players will be in the squad for the best standard leagues,other wise what is the point of entering that league if you are not going to be competitive.so i read fromyour comment that your top club team is selected from ALL the the club members,unbelievable!
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down

Our all encompassing team attitude took us from about 20+ members to 40/40 bowlers/social and top/promotion in various leagues/cups as an average.
    Plus an outdoor club that is open 52 weeks of the year.
    That's my last comment on the subject as my hobby horse is difficult to control

PS. I do refer you to #2!
    Last edited by EJB; 17-07-2018 at 11:15 AM.