Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do other club's select league teams?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

Default How do other club's select league teams?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    We have eight different men's league teams across three leagues (A and B in one league, A, B and C in the other two). All of these teams are chosen by a selection committee of three who are voted in at the AGM. This committee convenes weekly to select teams for the following week. A suggestion has been put forward which will be voted on at the AGM that next season the selection committee convenes only once at the start of the season, picks 8 squads for the 8 league teams, then leaves it to each squad to select their own captain/ vice-captain who will pick and rotate the teams on a weekly basis. To me, this seems like a recipe for anarchy, but the experienced and senior committee member whose put the idea forward (he's played many years including different clubs in different parts of the country) insists his suggestion is commonly used by other clubs?

My question is does your club use this method and, if so, how do you find it works?

If not which method for selection do you use and have you got any better suggestions?
    Last edited by Barry Adams; 12-07-2018 at 02:11 PM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 6/4
    Given: 5/0

Until this year our system was that available members added their names to a weekly list for each match.
    The policy was that all those that wanted to play were in the mix and were selected fairly.....and in turn where possible.
    The club captain with one or two league captains actually selected the teams.
    That system gave every playing member a reasonable number of games each season

We have now reverted to the bad old days where members are selected to each team/league at the beginning of the season and 'none favoured' players are left in the cold. 'Favoured' players tend to play every match!!!......this has crept in over the last couple of years.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 5/0
    Given: 31/0

We use this method and it works well. We have four league (Men's) teams - Team B plays in the highest league (division 2), Team A plays in Division 4, Teams C and D play in division 6. Both the B team and A team are in with a very good chance of both being promoted this year - and perhaps the C team too.

A selection committee of three picks the four squads at the start of the season. Squad members change from year to year to reflect performance level. If someone plays well then they are properly considered to see if they should move up (and reciprocally someone else will move the other way). Each squad has 9 players (league is two triples weekly). We also look at who would be best to captain each team and select a captain and vice-captain for each team. They will select all matches for their team throughout the season. Most captains rotate players - playing 6 from 9 each week. In the past, a few have been a bit more selective and have played key players for more games, but I think this is largely frowned upon in our club and maybe can be done only at the end of the season if there are a few crucial matches to be played.

Largely, our squads for each team are well motivated and enthusiastic and like to feel that they are part of a squad - that is run by someone in their team.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Adams View Post
    My question is does your club use this method and, if so, how do you find it works?

If not which method for selection do you use and have you got any better suggestions?

Thumbs Up/Down

MrJ, presumably your club only plays in the one league?
    Does your club not cater for lady members?
    Last edited by EJB; 13-07-2018 at 08:43 AM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 5/0
    Given: 31/0

HI EJB
    My comments were only about the men's section. The ladies have a similar set up - with three teams, not four. We play in one league - of which, the men's league has 6 separate divisions. Each division has 8 teams, games are played home and away, so there are 14 games in a season. We also have a county league, which is different, which is two rinks (men). Each game for this is selected by the main selection committee of three. All friendlies are either selected by the men's or ladies' captain, and occasionally by the captain of the day, should this be someone else. So, quite a mixture of selection methods, but it does work mostly well.

Thumbs Up/Down

Looks good
    We play in 3 leagues with 5 teams...plus various knock out competitions.
    I must confess my past in flat green...we used to be both EBA and EBF we are now only EBF.
    The EBA players were very selective and only allowed 'lesser' members to play when they were short...obviously that didn't last too long as we dropped EBA and revived the club to be equal for all.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0

I'm not on the selection committee for my Club, so don't know what mystical process goes into choosing who plays. But generally speaking, we have match boards that go up for the upcoming few weeks and you add your name to it if you are going to be available to play. Then the players are chosen by the committee.

There is one league (I think) which is run slightly differently, and the captain chooses his own players, it's not open to all. I've been asked to play on it once (because they were short of numbers), but generally speaking I think it's a closed shop, as in the Captain chooses the best players who will be available.
    Promotional Products is my job...
    Bowls is my passion.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/8

Hmm, the days of "selection" are pretty much over & done with at most Clubs in Notts! I am captain at our Club and we now only have 2 league teams, midweek & Sat, we struggle to get the numbers for either -16 & 12 respectively. I think I have "picked" 3 teams in total this season. In 5 out of 10 midweek games we have fielded fewer than 16 so far, once we only had 11 for Sat.

In the past 3 seasons we have lost around 15 players for mainly health and age related reasons. We have recruited about 5. We used to play in 5 leagues & had c 22 male & 6/7 female members, we are now down 18 & 2!

When it comes to the national 2 rink, it isn't much better, but I consult with the regular skips and a couple of others. It generally comes down to scraping round to find someone to play.

I know of several other Clubs in a similar predicament and there is just a lack of anyone who wants to be involved and do any sort of administration at all. Too many players simply want to turn up at the last minute, play and go home. I frequently have to remind folks that the rinks don't get set up by magic, somebody has to open up the changing rooms and if you are fit enough to play 21 ends then you are fit enough to put equipment away, a point some of members fail to grasp. I' m lucky if 2 or 3 people turn up to assist, it us always the same 2 or 3 too. We mention at meetings, AGM etc plus personal requests, notices on the boards, falls on deaf ears.

The game is dying on its backside here, we've lost 60 Clubs in the last 25 years, there are now c 30 competitive BE Clubs, most with dwindling memberships. The county association is run by 2 execs and had been for 5 years. As an ex county President (2012) it pains me to see what is happening - but - the luxury of selecting teams is unlikely to rear its head again at my .club in the foreseeable future.

Thumbs Up/Down

I'm in a small to medium sized club 25ish members we have so selection is a lot easier. We have a main captain that selects all the competitive competitions, County, top club etc and the vice captain helps him. The friendly and domestic league we have different captains that volunteer and pick the sides.

In the tougher competitions we pick our best players and with the county league, domestic league and friendlies we typically put in whoever is available and give new players/not so skilled players a game.

Every game we have, we have sheets up on a board and you just simply tick or cross to let the selected captain know. Works pretty well.
    You can always out-bowl your bad luck in every game!

Thumbs Up/Down

In my club if you can walk you are in. More seriously everyone is given a chance irrespective of ability. I like that. Bowling is meant to be a social pastime and not just a sport, and not to be taken too seriously. You enter your name onto a list and the Captain decides whom to play. The system is fair and ensures the same old names are not selected each week and works well.