Thread: Need help with your technique? Ask the top players in your Club...

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0
    Given: 0/0

Default Need help with your technique? Ask the top players in your Club...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    If you're finding you're not as accurate as you could be; if your woods go all over the place and, generally, you find you're not happy with how you play, then have you asked the top players in your Club?

Don't fall into the same trap as me and think, if someone sees a problem with your game they will come to you, because that's not necessarily true. More often than not, they will not want to offend you by offering you advice when you haven't asked for it.

So, approach them, like I did at this year's "Play Bowls" Open Day.

Part of the day was very slow with very few public coming in, so I got chatting to some of the top players and I mentioned how unhappy I was with my accuracy (or lack of) and saying it seemed after three seasons I still wasn't getting any better. If I did do a good shot, it was through luck more than judgement.

Just saying this to the players opened the floodgates, and they immediately gave me a lot of great and very useful advice. I took myself off to practice on a rink on my own, and within twenty minutes I saw a marked improvement in my accuracy.

My technique and play has continued to improve. I now feel when I get a good shot, I did it - it wasn't just lucky. In fact, in recent matches I've had the shot wood, or been in the count more often than not.

So, don't be afraid to ask... don't wait for them to come to you.
    Promotional Products is my job...
    Bowls is my passion.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 38/4
    Given: 13/7

Well you could always ask a Level 2 coach for help!

My own local level 2 coach is always more than willing to help experienced bowlers and is currently at our local club every Wednesday morning at 10:00 just to do this.

He has been helping my wife with her delivery and recently with how to modify her grip to overcome problems with arthritis.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    World Bowls International Technical Official
    EBUA International Umpire
    EBUA Website Manager
    EBUA Surrey County Co-ordinator
    EBUA Deputy Chairman

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0
    Given: 0/0

Completely true of course, but as your own comment says, the point is that you have to do the asking - in most cases people won't automatically come and tell you what you are doing wrong.
    Promotional Products is my job...
    Bowls is my passion.