Thread: skipping for the first time

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/1
    Given: 0/0

Default skipping for the first time

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    what advice would you give to someone who is asked to skip a rink for the first time?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 54/16
    Given: 2/2

Default Skipping

Quote Originally Posted by Paco Sillis View Post
    what advice would you give to someone who is asked to skip a rink for the first time?
    Try and find out the capabilities of your players, nothing worse as a player than the skip asking you to play a shot which you are not confident with,and often results in a wasted wood
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 19/3
    Given: 70/0

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The most important thing is to make the rest of your team feel supported and happy to be there. Skips that moan and complain get the worst out of people. Praise everyone loudly. If they bowl a wood a yard away then say 'well done, just a yard', not 'it's useless if it's short of the jack' etc. Be positive so that they enjoy playing. Everyone will enjoy it then. Too many negative skips around and most people don't enjoy playing with them. Of course, you do get the odd grumpy b****r who hates being praised and wants to feel bad about things

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 5/5
    Given: 21/0

Quote Originally Posted by happymrjames View Post
    The most important thing is to make the rest of your team feel supported and happy to be there. Skips that moan and complain get the worst out of people. Praise everyone loudly. If they bowl a wood a yard away then say 'well done, just a yard', not 'it's useless if it's short of the jack' etc. Be positive so that they enjoy playing. Everyone will enjoy it then. Too many negative skips around and most people don't enjoy playing with them. Of course, you do get the odd grumpy b****r who hates being praised and wants to feel bad about things
    Couldn't agree more with this! the worst thing is a grumpy or negative skip! As a lead I always find i play better with a positive and encouraging skip at the other end. As john said too, be sure to know your team well and know who's comfortable with what etc. Communicate with your team too, but always have the last say.
    You can always out-bowl your bad luck in every game!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 14/6

Woi
    rst skips in the world are the ones who tell the lead which way to bowl their first bowl. Oh yes it happens.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/1
    Given: 1/0

Quote Originally Posted by Cheshirebased View Post
    Woi
    rst skips in the world are the ones who tell the lead which way to bowl their first bowl. Oh yes it happens.
    The worst leads in the world are the ones who randomly change their hand every end, making it difficult for them to master a hand/rink and play consistently

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0

Being new to the game i have played lead in two roll ups. Bowls were far from perfect as im getting used to them but never a negative comment was said. Got good praise when i did do well and the occsional yard past but good line comment.

Praise in public advice given privately is best

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 33/5
    Given: 24/6

Quote Originally Posted by Cheshirebased View Post
    Woi
    Worst leads in the world are the ones who can't recognise which is their best hand!!
    Insert clever witticism or profound statement
    and some sort of link which makes you look cool...

HERE

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0

Quote Originally Posted by Falky View Post
    Couldn't agree more with this! the worst thing is a grumpy or negative skip! As a lead I always find i play better with a positive and encouraging skip at the other end. As john said too, be sure to know your team well and know who's comfortable with what etc. Communicate with your team too, but always have the last say.
    Along the lines of being negative or positive, I would say to always frame things in a positive manner. For example, if you need a bowl behind the head say exactly that. Do not say don't be short. Focusing on the negative outcome will put it in the player's head.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 24/2

That's cerainly true - I've seen several sports psychologists say that the subconscious brain does not recognise the word 'not' - so saying 'don't be short' almost guarantees that the shot will 'be short'!