Thread: Walking the mat?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0
    Given: 0/0

Default Walking the mat?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Does anyone know the full implications of walking the mat. My coach understands it, but finds it difficult to explain well. Either that or I'm a little slow.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0

Never heard of this. So if you slow im behind you. ������

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 7/1

Quote Originally Posted by RichardofKent View Post
    Never heard of this. So if you slow im behind you. ������

I have not heard this expression either. But have just googled it and got some australian coaching tips. Walking the mat appears to be moving left or right across the mat in order to find another line to the jack as a head builds. There are a number of references available with pictures also.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0

Where it gets difficult to fully understand is when you bowl the same line once you move on the mat. Or when you try a different line, both have implications that I really don't fully understand. But saying that I also do understand some of it.

I think I need to set something up at the club and give it a try, just to see. Yesterday I tried it as my coach said I was bowling a little tight. I moved on the mat, bowled my normal line and had a cracking game as lead.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 7/1

Quote Originally Posted by richardhb View Post
    Where it gets difficult to fully understand is when you bowl the same line once you move on the mat. Or when you try a different line, both have implications that I really don't fully understand. But saying that I also do understand some of it.

I think I need to set something up at the club and give it a try, just to see. Yesterday I tried it as my coach said I was bowling a little tight. I moved on the mat, bowled my normal line and had a cracking game as lead.
    you probably have answered your own question where you have moved on the mat and had a better game. It comes down to experience and having a good feel for the game. As a mat is 12 inches wide, there is a surprising amount of room to move your feet in order to bowl more effectively. A friend of mine who skips to a good standard regularly shuffles one way or the other when playing, almost without realising. I would call it ‘using the mat’ but it appears to amount to the same thing as ‘walking’