Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: County league formats

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 32/2
    Given: 1/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Thank you to all who replied meeting in 2weeks willlet you know the outcome JH
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down

Default New league rules

Quote Originally Posted by john haydock View Post
    Thank you to all who replied meeting in 2weeks willlet you know the outcome JH
    Well interesting meeting,but very unsatisfactory result as far as my club is concerned, 1. No trial ends. 2.game limited to 3 1/2 hours 3.Mixed league each rink of four players must. contain at least 1man, 1lady. Mens league 1. No trial ends 2. 3 1/2 hours, all games 21ends. The voting was 10 for. 2 against. Result is alittle distorted because the bigger the club the more votes you get!!!!!! I suggested the playing 3 men and 1lady in the mixed fours would become the norm, they assure me it will not!!!! I am not holding my breath.
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 6/0
    Given: 0/0

All other things being equal, there is likely to be a tendency to play 3 : 1 mix, especially in clubs with a preponderance of male members (so to speak). You could prepare your ladies to challenge this in your own club, especially if it regularly happens in the teams, but it won't help you against clubs that do it.

Stopping trial ends is a shame - as a relative newbie, I probably rely more than many on these (as longer-time players have more likely to have been to the other club before): plus, they don't seem to add a noticeable amount of time to the game.

That's the way sport seems to be going, though.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by corptaxman View Post
    All other things being equal, there is likely to be a tendency to play 3 : 1 mix, especially in clubs with a preponderance of male members (so to speak). You could prepare your ladies to challenge this in your own club, especially if it regularly happens in the teams, but it won't help you against clubs that do it.

Stopping trial ends is a shame - as a relative newbie, I probably rely more than many on these (as longer-time players have more likely to have been to the other club before): plus, they don't seem to add a noticeable amount of time to the game.

That's the way sport seems to be going, though.
    What is happening is nothing short of criminal and detrimental to the future of budding bowlers like yourself,trial ends are important to all level of bowlers and gives you.a chance to try more than one model for suitability on the rink, the other issue deprives some up and coming lady bowlers of the chance to play in county competitions for there club,as the new format will i am sure only require 4 instead of 8 for county mixed matches.I live in hope that we will never get to the situation where we play only one shot on the first two ends(mickey mouse springs to mind)
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 36/1
    Given: 13/7

Quote Originally Posted by john haydock View Post
    What is happening is nothing short of criminal and detrimental to the future of budding bowlers like yourself,trial ends are important to all level of bowlers and gives you.a chance to try more than one model for suitability on the rink, the other issue deprives some up and coming lady bowlers of the chance to play in county competitions for there club,as the new format will i am sure only require 4 instead of 8 for county mixed matches.I live in hope that we will never get to the situation where we play only one shot on the first two ends(mickey mouse springs to mind)
    Why not just toss a coin to decide the winner. It would save all the travel costs.
    W
    World Bowls International Technical Official 2012 to 2017
    EBUA International Umpire
    EBUA Website Manager

Thumbs Up/Down

Although I have taken, and used in trial ends, two sets to clubs that I have been told are 'tricky', I've never yet seen anyone else do this! I wonder how many 'ordinary' members at clubs have more than one set?

Thumbs Up/Down

Default Ordinary

Although I have taken, and used in trial ends, two sets to clubs that I have been told are 'tricky', I've never yet seen anyone else do this! I wonder how many 'ordinary' members at clubs have more than one set?
    Many of our bowlers who play county league would feel uncomfortable at being described as ordinary.I recently pointed out to oounty competition secretary, if this is such a good idea why not introduce it in county competitions, the answer was players will not like it, my point exactly!!!!
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down

I did put quotes around 'ordinary'!! I was, of course, referring to 'run of-the mill' members, not those 'better' players - all with "quotes"! No offence meant to anyone but one has to somehow differentiate between 'classes' : if some are 'extra-ordinary' than most must be 'ordinary', and I for one do not object to many Vin Ordinaires at the right time/place!

Thumbs Up/Down

Default Understand

I did put quotes around 'ordinary'!! I was, of course, referring to 'run of-the mill' members, not those 'better' players - all with "quotes"! No offence meant to anyone but one has to somehow differentiate between 'classes' : if some are 'extra-ordinary' than most must be 'ordinary', and I for one do not object to many Vin Ordinaires at the right time/place!
    No offence taken i am sure .
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down

Update on the mixed league it was voted in to play at least i lady in every rink and no trial ends,a week after the vote the clubs that proposed it dropped out of the league, “unbelievable”
    No Grey Areas