Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: County league formats

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 6/0
    Given: 0/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "At least 1 lady" makes perfect sense in a mixed league! Anything less and it's hardly mixed.

As to the vote, presumably other remaining clubs voted for the changes - would it have made any difference to the result if the leavers had not been voting? Regrettable 'though it might be, there is no real way to prevent this sort of situation (the post-vote leaving) arising. Did they give any reason for their dropping out?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 32/2
    Given: 1/0

Quote Originally Posted by corptaxman View Post
    "At least 1 lady" makes perfect sense in a mixed league! Anything less and it's hardly mixed.

As to the vote, presumably other remaining clubs voted for the changes - would it have made any difference to the result if the leavers had not been voting? Regrettable 'though it might be, there is no real way to prevent this sort of situation (the post-vote leaving) arising. Did they give any reason for their dropping out?
    The league is described as a mixed fours league,and is recognised at all levels that mixed fours is 2men —2ladies,that is what the national mixed fours play? As to the vote some of the clubs voted for the proposition to keep the numbers up,which obviously failed, yesthe reason was they still could not get a team,that cancellation came through on the Sat morning during theDenny Cup we should have played them on Sunday morning at 10am,the strange thing was they put 8 ladies out the following Sunday in the Egham.It remains to see if the constituion which says they should be fined is implicated.I will not hold my breath,they must have known before the Sat morning they could not get a team, 2of our players travelled back early to play,and 2 ladies took daysholiday to play,all to know avail
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down

The key word is perhaps "recognised" - if it isn't defined, implicitly or by reference to something else (eg the nationals you equate it to) , then you couldn't enforce 2 & 2 teams. "At least 1" seems a bit of a nonsense, as having less than 1 would not make it mixed - therefore saying 'at least 2 ladies' might make more sense - allowing a greater number but enforcing a split situation.

As to the match you mention, that is poor disrespectful behaviour at best, and should be penalised/sanctioned in some way. It doesn't answer my question, however.

Thumbs Up/Down

The key word is perhaps "recognised" - if it isn't defined, implicitly or by reference to something else (eg the nationals you equate it to) , then you couldn't enforce 2 & 2 teams. "At least 1" seems a bit of a nonsense, as having less than 1 would not make it mixed - therefore saying 'at least 2 ladies' might make more sense - allowing a greater number but enforcing a split situation.

As to the match you mention, that is poor disrespectful behaviour at best, and should be penalised/sanctioned in some way. It doesn't answer my question, however.
    I may have chosen my words badly it is defined in the constituition formats,and my guess it is in all other counties as well or at least in conditions of play, in over 20 years i have never heard of mixed fours being 1lady and three men, with regard to your question i cannot possibly know the answer because county reps were influenced by the pleas of the 2clubs that they would drop out,So at the moment we are stuck with it,I am sure the league will fold within 2years
    Last edited by john haydock; 16-11-2018 at 09:50 AM.
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down

I suspect it would be unusual to have a 1:3 ratio! As things stand, all you can do is fight fire-with-fire (unless your ladies are of sufficient strength to allow you to ignore the mix aspect), but then you risk a revolt by the ladies of your club if they see themselves as being excluded in favour of men.

It seems sad if the 2 clubs threatened to leave if the changes were not introduced; but, maybe it will teach reps not to listen to such threats in the future. If everyone was unduly influenced by potentially losing clubs, and they have now left, is there not time remaining to seek an extra-ordinary meeting to move things back to what they had been?

Thumbs Up/Down

I suspect it would be unusual to have a 1:3 ratio! As things stand, all you can do is fight fire-with-fire (unless your ladies are of sufficient strength to allow you to ignore the mix aspect), but then you risk a revolt by the ladies of your club if they see themselves as being excluded in favour of men.

It seems sad if the 2 clubs threatened to leave if the changes were not introduced; but, maybe it will teach reps not to listen to such threats in the future. If everyone was unduly influenced by potentially losing clubs, and they have now left, is there not time remaining to seek an extra-ordinary meeting to move things back to what they had been?
    The league has already started to late to change now,my club will never field 1lady and 3men.i think within 2seasons the league will fold anyway.there are only 3clubs remaing and one of those has 2 teams in the league,hardly seems worth it
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down

Ah - I can see why they were so 'keen' (aka 'desperate' to retain clubs!). Lack of participants; rules that may lead to ladies not putting names down at clubs that adopt a '1-lady' format; plus rancour over the mix would seem a potentially lethal blow to the league. I suspect your analysis may well prove correct.

Would it be an option to widen the area of the league - possibly merging with another close by if it is in the same situation as regards the lack of member clubs? Extra travel no doubt, but if needs must.

Thumbs Up/Down

Ah - I can see why they were so 'keen' (aka 'desperate' to retain clubs!). Lack of participants; rules that may lead to ladies not putting names down at clubs that adopt a '1-lady' format; plus rancour over the mix would seem a potentially lethal blow to the league. I suspect your analysis may well prove correct.

Would it be an option to widen the area of the league - possibly merging with another close by if it is in the same situation as regards the lack of member clubs? Extra travel no doubt, but if needs must.
    The league is split east -west to limit travel a few years back it was Div 1 & Div2 much better but more travel,One of the clubs which dropped out regularly fields 8 ladies in another league,but cannot get 4to play mixed, my suspicion is there is another problem
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down

You may well be right as to that, but they are now 'out'. So - choices would seem to be to let things continue to wither unto extinction, or merge the two 'mini-leagues', assuming clubs would be happy with increased travel (soundings needed before trying it!)