Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Singles - Visiting the head after 2 bowls

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0
    Given: 0/0

Default Singles - Visiting the head after 2 bowls

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Sorry - may have been covered before - will make it quick.

Singles match - one player asks permission to visit the head after 2 bowls each; other player decides to accompany him. Is it just a 'local' rule that they both have to return to the mat together, or is that the policy ? Can't (probably being stupid) see it specified in CM3.

Thank you.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 36/1
    Given: 13/7

Quote Originally Posted by cjvinthechair View Post

Singles match - one player asks permission to visit the head after 2 bowls each; other player decides to accompany him. Is it just a 'local' rule that they both have to return to the mat together, or is that the policy ? Can't (probably being stupid) see it specified in CM3.

Thank you.
    Local rule which should be in COP. CM3 does give options under A 4.1 but these have to be implemented in the COP by the Controlling Body.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    World Bowls International Technical Official 2012 to 2017
    EBUA International Umpire
    EBUA Website Manager

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 16/1
    Given: 81/0

For me it wouldn't make sense for the other player to return back to the mat with the bowler when the head may change after the bowler has played his bowl and the other player may then need/want to look at the head again before playing his bowl. So that would just waste time imo.
    Last edited by Wingnut!!; 12-10-2018 at 09:32 AM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 33/2
    Given: 1/0

Default Conditions of Play

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnut!! View Post
    For me it wouldn't make sense for the other player to return back to the mat with the bowler when the head may change after the bowler has played his bowl and the other player may then need/want to look at the head again before playing his bowl. So that what just waste time imo.
    As the only mention of visits to the head will be in Conditions of Play, so the answer will be in there ,but my experience of conditions of play is such that it probably will not be, and if it is not then he will stay anyway.
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 8/0

Thank you.
    Sounds like someone has been watching the televised games under PBA Rules, when in singles players can only visit the head after their third bowl unless the marker agrees. These rules (conditions of play) do not apply elsewhere unless specified in COP (very unlikely). In the absence of such a rule a player can visit the head whenever he/she has possession of the rink - although this could prove very unpopular
    ruff!

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by rover View Post
    Sounds like someone has been watching the televised games under PBA Rules, when in singles players can only visit the head after their third bowl unless the marker agrees. These rules (conditions of play) do not apply elsewhere unless specified in COP (very unlikely). In the absence of such a rule a player can visit the head whenever he/she has possession of the rink - although this could prove very unpopular
    I would think if they have been watching events on TV the shot clock will be in use, in which case visits to the head can take place anytime
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down

Thank you for some interest, Gentlemen.
    I wish I could say that after reading your responses, & listening to our club Chair, a past umpire, I was confident of the definitive answer.
    The Chair insists the answer is in CM3 Appendix 1.4 - some of you are sure that it will be in COP.
    I have seen a COP, more than one maybe, where it is specified that after examination, with 2 woods bowled, both players must return to the mat together. I cannot find anything made remotely clear in CM3 Appendix 1.4.
    All pernickety, of course: one would hope that, in almost every case, if players are genuinely doing what they consider necessary, they would be allowed to get on with it.
    This question is for the times, & I'm sure we've all encountered a few, where somebody simply says 'You can't do that'. I'd rather have a confident response to hand.

Thumbs Up/Down

Thank you for some interest, Gentlemen.
    I wish I could say that after reading your responses, & listening to our club Chair, a past umpire, I was confident of the definitive answer.
    The Chair insists the answer is in CM3 Appendix 1.4 - some of you are sure that it will be in COP.
    I have seen a COP, more than one maybe, where it is specified that after examination, with 2 woods bowled, both players must return to the mat together. I cannot find anything made remotely clear in CM3 Appendix 1.4.
    All pernickety, of course: one would hope that, in almost every case, if players are genuinely doing what they consider necessary, they would be allowed to get on with it.
    This question is for the times, & I'm sure we've all encountered a few, where somebody simply says 'You can't do that'. I'd rather have a confident response to hand.
    I think you are missing my point , it is not covered in the Crystal Mark Law book,and it is often in conditions of play,if it is not in conditions of play, then anything goes which results in chaos,as for the other player going up with the person in possesion of the rink,if that is annoying,distracting or interferring with him, then he cannot do it.in normalconditions the player will not mind,but we have conditions of play,to take account of situations which occur and we can then control.I recall a match when one player visited the head after every bowl,to cause a nuisance to the opposition,I also remember being asked afterwards to help them word Conditions of Play for there club competitions. My county handbook details visits to the head in all the various events
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by john haydock View Post
    I think you are missing my point
    So - do I read correctly (?) - your point is 'There is NO law; it's a COP' ??

Thumbs Up/Down

So - do I read correctly (?) - your point is 'There is NO law; it's a COP' ??
    correct. Conditions of Play must be implemented for any control over visits to the head
    Last edited by john haydock; 14-10-2018 at 08:12 PM.
    No Grey Areas