Thread: Need help on short ends

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

Default Need help on short ends

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Hello, I played over 2 years, able to draw about 50% within mat length on mid to long ends; but struggling on short ends, only about 25-30%; practicing hard already; any advice/ tips? Thx.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0

You don't say if you are bowling short of the jack or bowling past the jack. If you are consistently bowling past the jack then one way to mitigate this is to stand as far back on the mat as possible. This means you are adding about a metre to the jack length.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 30/2
    Given: 1/0

Default Short ends

Quote Originally Posted by EzPotato View Post
    Hello, I played over 2 years, able to draw about 50% within mat length on mid to long ends; but struggling on short ends, only about 25-30%; practicing hard already; any advice/ tips? Thx.
    Firstly make sure your middle finger is in contact with the middle of the running surface of the bowl,then use this finger as your weight control, works well,your arm should be hanging straight down,i see many bowlers trying to bowl to short jacks. Commencing with the bowl held out in front, this is not a good position,as involves to muchmovement to get the bowl to delivery position. Wish i could show you,
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by 2bowlking View Post
    You don't say if you are bowling short of the jack or bowling past the jack. If you are consistently bowling past the jack then one way to mitigate this is to stand as far back on the mat as possible. This means you are adding about a metre to the jack length.
    I played inconsistently, about 25% within mat length, the rest half short and the other half pass the jack.

Thx for the reply.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by john haydock View Post
    Firstly make sure your middle finger is in contact with the middle of the running surface of the bowl,then use this finger as your weight control, works well,your arm should be hanging straight down,i see many bowlers trying to bowl to short jacks. Commencing with the bowl held out in front, this is not a good position,as involves to muchmovement to get the bowl to delivery position. Wish i could show you,
    Thanks, will try to use the middle finger as weight control, hopefully it will correct what I have been doing wrong, and be able to get some consistent result.