Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 31 to 37 of 37

Thread: Bias help please?

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    70
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Given: 0/0

    Default


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I've always maintained that Golf Pros should be made to decide for themselves (with help from their caddy, possibly), and then suffer the consequences if they get it wrong. Knowledge of the rules, especially for such highly paid sportsmen, should be an integral part of the game. It would help to speed rounds up, too - no waiting for rules officials etc, as you say, on virtually every occasion. My suspicion is that most DO know the rules reasonably well, as they can often assist, but decide not to go with their knowledge 'just in case'. Amateurs don't have the luxury of an official - they have to apply what they think right, and run the risk of being called up by their fellow players if wrong.

    'Jack (or bowl) in motion' - I usually advocate that words bear their normal meaning, but in rules, this is not always so, and as you infer, this is the case here, as the term is specifically defined under the laws of bowls. I don't have the golf rule book to hand, but think that defined terms are shown in the main body of the rules in italics or emboldened to indicate such - this isn't the case in the bowls laws, and it might be helpful if they were: people would at least be altered to the fact that it ain't necessarily as straightforward as it might sound (one might be forgiven for assuming that it is any moving jack/bowl, which isn't the case).

    PS - a new thread? Link that term/song: Poetry in motion by Johnny Tillotson (and many others)

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    suffolk
    Posts
    1,656
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 30/2
    Given: 1/0

    Default Knowledge


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by corptaxman View Post
    I've always maintained that Golf Pros should be made to decide for themselves (with help from their caddy, possibly), and then suffer the consequences if they get it wrong. Knowledge of the rules, especially for such highly paid sportsmen, should be an integral part of the game. It would help to speed rounds up, too - no waiting for rules officials etc, as you say, on virtually every occasion. My suspicion is that most DO know the rules reasonably well, as they can often assist, but decide not to go with their knowledge 'just in case'. Amateurs don't have the luxury of an official - they have to apply what they think right, and run the risk of being called up by their fellow players if wrong.

    'Jack (or bowl) in motion' - I usually advocate that words bear their normal meaning, but in rules, this is not always so, and as you infer, this is the case here, as the term is specifically defined under the laws of bowls. I don't have the golf rule book to hand, but think that defined terms are shown in the main body of the rules in italics or emboldened to indicate such - this isn't the case in the bowls laws, and it might be helpful if they were: people would at least be altered to the fact that it ain't necessarily as straightforward as it might sound (one might be forgiven for assuming that it is any moving jack/bowl, which isn't the case).

    PS - a new thread? Link that term/song: Poetry in motion by Johnny Tillotson (and many others)
    In all stroke play events the amateur has the opportunity to play the hole out with 2balls, and apply the relevant rule on completion of the round too.
    No Grey Areas

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    70
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Given: 0/0

    Default


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yes, my wife did that on one occasion, where she did not agree with her opponent's 'interpretation'of the law. I've never seen it done otherwise, but assume it is. It does lead to an interesting remainder of the game as the final decision by the committee or whatever can make a big, if late, difference. Also, if you don't quite know how you stand in golf, you make different decisions on shots.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    suffolk
    Posts
    1,656
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 30/2
    Given: 1/0

    Default Decisions


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by corptaxman View Post
    Yes, my wife did that on one occasion, where she did not agree with her opponent's 'interpretation'of the law. I've never seen it done otherwise, but assume it is. It does lead to an interesting remainder of the game as the final decision by the committee or whatever can make a big, if late, difference. Also, if you don't quite know how you stand in golf, you make different decisions on shots.
    If my memory serves me correctly the option is only available in stroke play events,In fact i am certain you cannot do it in match play,The only form of golf where you have an opponent is in. Match play
    Last edited by john haydock; 30-10-2018 at 10:18 PM.
    No Grey Areas

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    70
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Given: 0/0

    Default


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    You're correct, John - only applies to stroke play: it would make little sense in match play, as you would probably have to play two bowls from then on in. Also right re 'opponent', in the strictest sense as defined under those rules - but, in a competition, all others are in truth opponents, as you are trying to beat 'the field' of which they are part. Not what many people say of course: 'play the course in stroke play; the opponent in match play'. Much truth in that, although I never fully subscribed to it: in most sports you need something to aim at/beat, and that is often the person you are playing with. Aiming to play the course or 'as best you can' isn't really specific enough to produce your best in my view.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    suffolk
    Posts
    1,656
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 30/2
    Given: 1/0

    Default N.g.a


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by corptaxman View Post
    You're correct, John - only applies to stroke play: it would make little sense in match play, as you would probably have to play two bowls from then on in. Also right re 'opponent', in the strictest sense as defined under those rules - but, in a competition, all others are in truth opponents, as you are trying to beat 'the field' of which they are part. Not what many people say of course: 'play the course in stroke play; the opponent in match play'. Much truth in that, although I never fully subscribed to it: in most sports you need something to aim at/beat, and that is often the person you are playing with. Aiming to play the course or 'as best you can' isn't really specific enough to produce your best in my view.
    Which is why they call me No Grey Areas, would not fancy playing to bowls from then on in either rather play a ball?must get back to Bowls anyway.
    No Grey Areas

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    70
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Given: 0/0

    Default


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Confusing my bowls/balls - I must be getting more into bowls at last! With all the silly (IMO) variants of golf being introduced, a round using bowls could be interesting, indeed - although we would need the larger cup proposed by many golfers for the 'true' game! Fancy a round anytime - played with heavy size 7's of course? "Are we not men?" A little like using hickory clubs and featheries - harder work.

    As for No Grey Areas, it's been looking pretty grey up here on Dartmoor, today, although not quite as chilly as Mon/Tues, with plenty of mist and some rain.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •