Thread: Game curtailed early when the marker walks off?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0
    Given: 0/0

Default Game curtailed early when the marker walks off?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Playing indoor singles yesterday evening our marker walked off after 15 ends claiming my opponent was being rude to him. My opponent was winning 19-13 so agreed we should carry on playing. Miraculously I won 4 of the next 5 ends to win 21-20. Now my opponent is claiming we should've stopped when the marker walked off with him winning the game (it's times like this I do feel I should go back to golf!). It's with the indoor secretary to sort out and I'm really not that bothered what he decides. However, I was wondering if there is an official rule on this, I've scanned the rules but can't see anything obvious?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 30/2
    Given: 1/0

Default Marker

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Adams View Post
    Playing indoor singles yesterday evening our marker walked off after 15 ends claiming my opponent was being rude to him. My opponent was winning 19-13 so agreed we should carry on playing. Miraculously I won 4 of the next 5 ends to win 21-20. Now my opponent is claiming we should've stopped when the marker walked off with him winning the game (it's times like this I do feel I should go back to golf!). It's with the indoor secretary to sort out and I'm really not that bothered what he decides. However, I was wondering if there is an official rule on this, I've scanned the rules but can't see anything obvious?
    Apparently it is quite common in Scotland to play without a marker,once your opponent agreed to continue Game On, and you won what is to discuss,he certainly cannot claim the unfinished game,your indoor secretary should rule in your favour. He certainly cannot have two bites of the cherry either,i would have more sympathy with him if he asked not to continue without a marker, but having agreed he has not a leg to stand on.Conditions of play may require the challenger to provide a marker, No Law covers this situation
    Last edited by john haydock; 06-11-2018 at 09:06 PM.
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 37/1
    Given: 5/0

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by john haydock View Post
    Apparently it is quite common in Scotland to play without a marker,once your opponent agreed to continue Game On, and you won what is to discuss,he certainly cannot claim the unfinished game,your indoor secretary should rule in your favour. He certainly cannot have two bites of the cherry either,i would have more sympathy with him if he asked not to continue without a marker, but having agreed he has not a leg to stand on.Conditions of play may require the challenger to provide a marker, No Law covers this situation
    Very common in Scotland in my experience. Quite often what happens is you may get a marker at the start of the game as someone may be waiting for their own opponent to turn up and come out to mark ties until they arrive.

As for the chancer in the original post I can't even believe it's worth consideration by the indoor secretary. If there is any other outcome other than the original poster retaining his victory then I think I would be telling them where to stick their club
    An obsession with us which knows no bounds.