Thread: Improving.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0
    Given: 0/0

Default Improving.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Hi.

been playing internal league games for a few weeks indoors. Certainly a change from playing on grass ! So im now more confident on playing my Aces on the outside rinks and the ditch side wheras before i would avoid it.

i have got my pre match routine and when it is not done to plan or timing i notice that i play worse. My pre delivery routine is now set up and my delivery is very good. Even got told this by a opponent who has played for years said it was very smooth. Just a case of getting the weight better by small adjustments and the line needs some work.

So my bowls playing is very enjoyable and the people i play with and those i play against are all very nice.

so by practice and playing matches im getting better. Not quite champion material just yet.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 32/2
    Given: 1/0

Quote Originally Posted by RichardofKent View Post
    Hi.

been playing internal league games for a few weeks indoors. Certainly a change from playing on grass ! So im now more confident on playing my Aces on the outside rinks and the ditch side wheras before i would avoid it.

i have got my pre match routine and when it is not done to plan or timing i notice that i play worse. My pre delivery routine is now set up and my delivery is very good. Even got told this by a opponent who has played for years said it was very smooth. Just a case of getting the weight better by small adjustments and the line needs some work.

So my bowls playing is very enjoyable and the people i play with and those i play against are all very nice.

so by practice and playing matches im getting better. Not quite champion material just yet.
    The most important factor in weight control is down to length of step.a slightly longer step will add weight without changing delivery action .The very fact of stepping more will create a reaction in length of arm swing to maintain balance, try it it works with most of the players i coach
    Last edited by john haydock; 16-11-2018 at 09:35 PM.
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by john haydock View Post
    The most important factor in weight control is down to length of step.a slightly longer step will add weight without changing delivery action .The very fact of stepping more will create a reaction in length of arm swing to maintain balance, try it it works with most of the players i coach
    Will look at my step and try this advice and see what happens. Will report back as to what i find and how i feel.

Thumbs Up/Down

Tried the advice from John but didn’t work for me. Just focused on the swing and extend back a bit futher to get the weight right. Step length reverted to normal for every delivery. Played well the last two games and more woods are getting up to and around the jack. Thanks for the advice John.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 32/2
    Given: 1/0

Default 2ways

Quote Originally Posted by RichardofKent View Post
    Tried the advice from John but didnít work for me. Just focused on the swing and extend back a bit futher to get the weight right. Step length reverted to normal for every delivery. Played well the last two games and more woods are getting up to and around the jack. Thanks for the advice John.
    Thanks Richard there are really only 2ways to adjust weight, 1is to step further to add weight,the increase in step automatically results in a longer backswing to maintain balance.resulting in an increase in weight. 2If you are stepping forward the same with every delivery then you. Must increase your backswing to adjust weight.But it is obvious you use the one you can cope with,in the first stages with new bowlers i try to use the step method,however that is not possible with those who bowl from a fixed stance
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 6/0

I tend to use a fairly long step (outdoors) anyway as I'm failry tall at 6' 3", and it helps me to get closer to the ground which I find helps with line - so length of swing has been my main determinator of distance. I tend to 'convert' my experience at golf to bowling, and many years ago, I bought Dave Pelz's books on the short game, where he advocates using a 'clock' scale to link distance with backswing - a brief summary can be seen here at the foot of the page:

https://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/tips-...hing-it-close/

Pelz was a NASA reasearch scientist and applies scientific methods including vast experiments and measuring to influence his suggestions on the golf swing. At first, the clock method can seem a bit mechanical, but if you persevere it does work. Of course, one main difference between a golf chip/pitch and a bowls delivery, is that in the latter there is more contact with the ground, which adds a variable into the equation, but after a while you can adjust to take that into account, too - mostly, the inner mind does it for you: trust your swing.