Thread: Starting over again

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/1
    Given: 0/0

Default Starting over again

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    From next season I will no longer be playing right handed, the way I've played since I took the game up over 40 years ago. I've become bored with the game and feel I've been going through the motions for the last 10 years and need a new challenge.
    I'm going to start playing left handed and playing back at the front end. My committee are none too pleased, but that shows they've become too reliant on my back end skills and prowess.
    Any advice out there ?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 24/2

Not as regards bowls, but I have tried that in golf and cricket (although not for the reason you cite). I'm naturally right-handed and play both that way but hold the club/bat 'left hand down a bit ', which creates problems but can work well on a good day, albeit with compensations needed, especially for golf; I tried to play left handed in each sport with the same grip, which translated to left-hand at the top of course - it didn't work: the combination of relative strength in the arms etc and dominant eye made me give up and revert to my 'natural' side. Of course, it may have been that I just didn't give it time enough - it was very frustrating 'though. Before you do try it, perhaps you should think as to whether it is the game itself that 'bored' you, not just the seeming ease with which you play currently - in which case, you could try something else that might prove more of a lasting challenge. Even if you do change side, and master that, will you go back to feeling 'bored' with the game quite soon?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 11/2
    Given: 15/0

Quote Originally Posted by Yardshort View Post
    From next season I will no longer be playing right handed, the way I've played since I took the game up over 40 years ago. I've become bored with the game and feel I've been going through the motions for the last 10 years and need a new challenge.
    I'm going to start playing left handed and playing back at the front end. My committee are none too pleased, but that shows they've become too reliant on my back end skills and prowess.
    Any advice out there ?
    Swapping hands is not a challenge I'd choose. It'd be like me trying to play a round of golf and deliberately using the wrong club for every shot!

If things have become that stale, I'd join a different Club.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 24/2

Long ago I remember watching Christie O'Connor play a practice round of golf - at a shortosh par 3 he hit his ball pretty close to the flag, and a member of the gallery called out that he did the same thing at that hole a few weeks before 'only' using X-club (shorter than O'C had used). O'Connor proceeded to hit a ball with every club in his bag, including his putter, with remarkably similar results. So - no such thing as a wrong club? Of course, lesser mortals aren't necessarily capable of that!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 10/2
    Given: 2/0

Quote Originally Posted by Yardshort View Post
    Any advice out there ?

If you are bored with the game after so long, then changing to your left hand wont help. It will still be the same game. I got fed up after only 28 years, so I retired from the game and put the money and time I spent on Bowls, on going to see live music concerts instead. I'm not talking about stadium gigs, where the prices are exorbitant. There are a lot of up and coming bands and artists playing at smaller venues, for less than 20.
    ESMBA National Singles Champion 1996.