Thread: Hello

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 3/0

Default Hello

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Hello all!,

I have just started getting into indoor bowling. I never really considered indoor bowls until an open day at my local indoor bowling club. Could not have met a friendlier and more helpful group of people and found the experience a very relaxing and fun.

I have never bowled before this and after a couple of free sessions, I am hooked and starting to look to get my first set of bowls. Certainly not going to rush into it, but have narrowed things down to either Taylor International and Legacy SL or Henselite classic II, but need to try out a few on rink and then decide which is best for me. Have bowled with Henselite Classic II which a club member was very kind to allow me to use.

Really looking forward to my new found sport. Who knows, I might even meet some of you in the future.

Cheers

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 6/0
    Given: 0/0

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Keep enjoying it! I had my first taste of indoor bowling (full length) a couple of weeks ago in a friendly match between my (outdoor) club and a relatively local indoor club - very enjoyable, although I prefer playing outdoors for many reasons, and I shall certainly try it again. I shall be keeping an eye out for a more user-friendly set to use indoors - I had to aim extremely wide with the set (actually two) I took with me, and it would not have been feasible if I had had the ditch to contend with.

What part of the country do you hail from? I'm out on Dartmoor, Devon.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 32/2
    Given: 1/0

Default Indoor rink speed

Quote Originally Posted by slfdbowler View Post
    Hello all!,

I have just started getting into indoor bowling. I never really considered indoor bowls until an open day at my local indoor bowling club. Could not have met a friendlier and more helpful group of people and found the experience a very relaxing and fun.

I have never bowled before this and after a couple of free sessions, I am hooked and starting to look to get my first set of bowls. Certainly not going to rush into it, but have narrowed things down to either Taylor International and Legacy SL or Henselite classic II, but need to try out a few on rink and then decide which is best for me. Have bowled with Henselite Classic II which a club member was very kind to allow me to use.

Really looking forward to my new found sport. Who knows, I might even meet some of you in the future.

Cheers
    If Taylor international or legacy are suitable then the rink must be very slow,someone in the club should be able to tell you the speed of the carpet,A very standard bowl and there biggest seller would be Taylor Vector VS.I would also consider Henselite Tiger 11. Make sure if possible you can try before you buy.With regardto carpet speed 14-16 secs wouldbe considered slow.19 like ours is fast so a bowl with less bias is needed. good luck
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by corptaxman View Post
    Keep enjoying it! I had my first taste of indoor bowling (full length) a couple of weeks ago in a friendly match between my (outdoor) club and a relatively local indoor club - very enjoyable, although I prefer playing outdoors for many reasons, and I shall certainly try it again. I shall be keeping an eye out for a more user-friendly set to use indoors - I had to aim extremely wide with the set (actually two) I took with me, and it would not have been feasible if I had had the ditch to contend with.

What part of the country do you hail from? I'm out on Dartmoor, Devon.
    I am hundreds of miles away in Sleaford, Lincolnshire.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by john haydock View Post
    If Taylor international or legacy are suitable then the rink must be very slow,someone in the club should be able to tell you the speed of the carpet,A very standard bowl and there biggest seller would be Taylor Vector VS.I would also consider Henselite Tiger 11. Make sure if possible you can try before you buy.With regardto carpet speed 14-16 secs wouldbe considered slow.19 like ours is fast so a bowl with less bias is needed. good luck
    I agree with you whole heartedly there. I tried Henselite sapphires 4H today after trying Tigers which I felt needed more space before swinging in. Sapphires were much more to my liking, but a little too heavy as I often put too much weight behind them without being aware, and momentum took them of the rink. Might try out 4 HMs and see how things progress from there. Nothing ventured, nothing gained as they say.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Given: 0/0

I started a few weeks ago in Sleaford myself. I'm only able to get there on the open session Saturday mornings due to work.

I've been using Tiger Pros and find them a struggle ditch side. A few others use them and don't seem to be as wide as me. Seen a few Taylor Aces and original Vectors ok ditch side. I'd like to try some Tiger II's or Classic II's. Not sure yet if I prefer a normal or ergo bowl. Unfortunately I can't help out with green speed. I'd like to know this myself.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I started a few weeks ago in Sleaford myself. I'm only able to get there on the open session Saturday mornings due to work.

I've been using Tiger Pros and find them a struggle ditch side. A few others use them and don't seem to be as wide as me. Seen a few Taylor Aces and original Vectors ok ditch side. I'd like to try some Tiger II's or Classic II's. Not sure yet if I prefer a normal or ergo bowl. Unfortunately I can't help out with green speed. I'd like to know this myself.
    Both in the same boat, you and I, by the sounds of it. I hear that Classic IIs are a good choice from what the experienced bowlers tell me.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 32/2
    Given: 1/0

Default Sapphires

Quote Originally Posted by slfdbowler View Post
    I agree with you whole heartedly there. I tried Henselite sapphires 4H today after trying Tigers which I felt needed more space before swinging in. Sapphires were much more to my liking, but a little too heavy as I often put too much weight behind them without being aware, and momentum took them of the rink. Might try out 4 HMs and see how things progress from there. Nothing ventured, nothing gained as they say.
    Not seen any sapphires for years,cannot be many of those around as they were never a big seller for Henselite would not take much notice about heavy or medium the difference is very marginal,Learn proper weight control from a coach, if you have any in the club..The difference in weight you are talking about is about the weight of 2 -50pence pieces.The right size is more important than the weight..And the right bowl also,i see many players struggling with the wrong bowls,and most clubs have a notice board full with bowls for sale by players who brought the wrong bowls. You should be able to find out the speed of the green from your office, when the carpet is stretched Dales leave a record ,having tested the speed, it is the time taken for a bowl to travel 27metres they will have a chute to launch the bowl down. You can check yourself approx bowl a bowl measure distance it travels divide by time taken and multiply by 27 . for example distance 10 metres time taken 14 secs. 10 divide by 14 equals .714 x27.= 19.2 secs
    No Grey Areas