Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Club situation and membership playing skip.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 20/0
    Given: 0/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    We are - clearly that sort of thing just happens - no control whatsoever. We have so few members you don't even need to book a rink, just turn up, unlock everything and play.

We also tend to have a few 'member days' - a few social games organised and a meal where most bring aong something (with no-one complaining if you don't, for any reason) : this year for the last one, it rained - so I took a carpet bowls set/mat, others bought some board games, and we remained happily in the packed clubhouse all afternoon! Very pleasant, too.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 42/3
    Given: 2/0

I also assumed you were talking indoors as the outside season has long ended also helps to explain some of your comments . No Problem
    Last edited by john haydock; 28-12-2018 at 06:52 PM.
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down

Apart from one venture a few weeks ago, I haven't played indoors - other than short-mat. I prefer being outdoors (grass in the summers, or an all-weather 'carpet' since this October, the latter playing in all weathers), I must say, for a few reasons.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 42/3
    Given: 2/0

Quote Originally Posted by corptaxman View Post
    Apart from one venture a few weeks ago, I haven't played indoors - other than short-mat. I prefer being outdoors (grass in the summers, or an all-weather 'carpet' since this October, the latter playing in all weathers), I must say, for a few reasons.
    I stopped outdoors 2years ago, preferred indoors anyway,far more going on we have 8 leagues ,4rinks 250 members.in my opinion more skilfull, From a coaching point of view much easier to. Bring a bowler to a decent level, takes longer indoors,
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down

I agree that there is a lot going for indoor play - and that from a pure technical viewpoint it is more skilful, but I prefer outdoor play due to the weather, fresh (sometimes too fresh in winter especially, as the other week, when I was dressed up in 3 layers of fleece, plus a waterproof sailing jacket - thankfully, it takes much less effort to deliver a bowl on carpet, even outdoors in inclement weather) air, views (at many greens) and the added complications/challenges arising from - in the case of grass, especially - a natural surface with all its vagaries. I need to play a few more times indoors to judge it sensibly, but it just seemed a bit too sanitized for me.

I played the other week at Isca in Exeter, where there were - I think - 8 rinks, and it seemed vast and slightly more impersonal. Not a members club, as such, of course, so I may not have something comparable to judge and reserrve ultimate judgment.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0

I started out in July 2018 so im still newish. When i went to the indoor club I was chatting away within minutes to peple playing roll ups. Very friendly nopressure or unpleasantness. I had a few coaching sessions, free and felt ok. I then started to join in with a friendly team for roll ups. I then joinedan outdoor club. The same thing happened there. I have been looked after, coached, be teamed up with different players way better than me but they have never been patronising. They have all encouraged me to get involved in club games which i have. So my experiences at two clubs have been very positive, played at different positions in games but manly lead or second but not done a full skip yet. Would i give it a go yes for sure as that is gaining experience. So a good club will look after there new member as it will be an investment when they become better bowlersand help win compititions etc.

Thumbs Up/Down

I found the same, nothing but positive experience at the two clubs I've been involved in - and don't hesitate to go in for the comps. I did this (my 2nd) year , winning two (mens pairs and mixed singles) and getting to the final of another (mixed pairs): we are a small club, 'though! If you don't try, you don't find out what you can - or can't yet - do.

My short-mat experience is mixed - it has been fine for me, but the organiser is a bit of a curmudgeon and can be quite nasty to newcomers, not really meaning it, I feel, but that it is certainly how it sounds. I know she put two off that I took along one week - they will never go back! It is 'only' a roll-up in a local village sports hall, but even so, a shame.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0

Thanks Taxman for explaining it to John and being understanding not everyone is smart. It seems many of these smart folk that try to be even more smart often shoot themselves in the foot. Like not understand what paragraphs are for John?
    My main point was these players don't seem to improve. I can think of two that play skip with very little time playing experience. Both find it difficult to draw and end up firing, one is good at it. But being a good skip is also about your draw game, isn't it? Sadly not one person in their club will help as they are concerned about being told to Bug--r off.

I visit other clubs several times a week, it looks like some clubs have a healthy youth squad and they learn the game correctly.( If there is such a thing.) I watched some kids being coached and they had straight lines of string on the rink with a jack at different intervals. If you got within a foot you got two points, on the line of the jack one point. It was very welcome to see.

It seems as we get older and try something new, we bring ideas of knowing with us. Maybe we should leave all what we think we know at the door?

Thumbs Up/Down

As you have seen, I'm a great fan of learning from the past and other experiences (both your own and that of others), but it is possible to get too hidebound - as with many things in life, a happy medium of the past, present and future can give the best results going forward.

I'm also a fan of paragraphs - also, more widely, half-way decent grammar, punctuation and spelling. I'm old school in that respect but words and the means of using them are our only way of communicating - if they are 'misused', or go too far away from generally accepted conventions of the time, it just allows for poor communication and misunderstandings. If you need convincing of that read something like Lynn Truss' "Eats Shoots and Leaves', which is both informative and funny at the same time.

Language is ever-evolving, and rightly so, as it has led us to where we are, but the internet and mobile communication means that almost anything 'goes' these days - and that is not, in my view, a good thing in the long run. I may well turn out to be wrong, of course!