Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this a change in the Laws?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 13/3
    Given: 23/13

Default Is this a change in the Laws?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Watching the bowls from Potters and in the Ladies Open Singles semi-final there was an interesting incident - Katherine Rednall, playing Red, picked up one of Julie Forest's green bowls and was about to deliver it until it was noticed by some of the audience and she changed to the correct bowl.
    The commentator's view on this was that if the green bowl had been delivered by Katherine it would have been removed from the green!
    Never heard of this before and was wondering if it was a WBT Law.
    What would Julie have played if her bowl had already been declared "dead"?
    Last edited by Umachan; 23-01-2019 at 03:36 PM.
    If you don't play it you won't get it.....

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 53/16
    Given: 2/2

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Umachan View Post
    Watching the bowls from Potters and in the Ladies Open Singles semi-final there was an interesting incident - Katherine Rednall, playing Red, picked up one of Julie Forest's green bowls and was about to deliver it until it was noticed by some of the audience and she changed to the correct bowl.
    The commentator's view on this was that if the green bowl had been delivered by Katherine it would have been removed from the green!
    Never heard of this before and was wondering if it was a WBT Law.
    What would Julie have played if her bowl had already been declared "dead"?
    Not awareof any changes and never heard of it in WBT either expect AT will comment,but never very sure of some comments from the box,was Corky in the box?
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 24/2
    Given: 0/0

Yes, I've just been watching that match and saw the incident. Under the laws themselves (CM3 - the original 2014 publshed laws that are available online and in hard-copy format - as discussed elsewhere!) , this would seem covered by law 29.2:

"29.2 Playing another player’s bowl
    29.2.1 If a player plays another player’s bowl instead of their own, the other player’s bowl must be replaced with the player’s own bowl.
    29.2.2 If the bowl which was replaced was marked or nominated as a toucher, the player’s own bowl must be marked or nominated as a toucher."

The wrongly-played bowl would be returned, and has not been declared 'dead' (under Law 17) as suggested, so that Julie would be able to use it for her turn.

If you haven't already got a copy of the laws (I paid £1.70 + £1.30 postage for my not-up-to-date copy the other day), either get hold of a hard copy, or download from the world bowls site, but, in either case, be prepared to update it yourself as appropriate/needed!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 97/12
    Given: 32/5

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The bowl would have been replaced with Katherine’s bowl
    It wouldn’t have even been delivered as we were already on to it.
    No change to the laws we are working to CM3
    It's a simple game really!!!
    Commonwealth Games Technical Official - Manchester 2002, Melbourne 2006, Delhi 2010, Glasgow 2014, Gold Coast 2018

www.allanthornhill.com or Contact me directly @ Ask Umpy

Any comments made by me on this Forum are my personal opinions only and not those of the World Bowls Laws Committee or the English Bowls Umpires Association

Thumbs Up/Down

-1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Umachan and I are both aware of the CMLaw, he was asking if it was a WBT law, which i can confirm it is not, can i ask where you brought your copy, because i have brought 3. 1 for display in the club, 1 for the umpires kit which the club are required to provide,and 1 for myself as recently indoor bowls agreed to play to CM laws, the same as BE., and in all 3there is an addendum titled. Changes to CM Dec2016 and changes April 2018 .The law book is simply titled. Laws of the sport of bowls. Crystal Mark Third Edition
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 97/12
    Given: 32/5

We play under CM3 now with specific CoPs
    Same thing though
    It's a simple game really!!!
    Commonwealth Games Technical Official - Manchester 2002, Melbourne 2006, Delhi 2010, Glasgow 2014, Gold Coast 2018

www.allanthornhill.com or Contact me directly @ Ask Umpy

Any comments made by me on this Forum are my personal opinions only and not those of the World Bowls Laws Committee or the English Bowls Umpires Association

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 24/2
    Given: 0/0

I bought it from Bowls England, as directed to by the link on the WB website. There is no addendum that I can see (where is yours located in the booklet? I wouldn't like to think I have simply missed it!), and the booklet is titled as you say. From where did you obtain your copies?

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by corptaxman View Post
    I bought it from Bowls England, as directed to by the link on the WB website. There is no addendum that I can see (where is yours located in the booklet? I wouldn't like to think I have simply missed it!), and the booklet is titled as you say. From where did you obtain your copies?
    Mine came from E.I.B.A this season we changed from there law book and use the CM3 ,there was only a few minor differences ,One concerned the foot fault law, and the addendum is inside back page
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 91/73
    Given: 93/8

Just another "Corky" as we expect, the law can be a useful ploy though if in normal play you needed a tight bowl to get underneath a bowl short in your draw, you just pick up a tight running bowl, deliver it, get the shot, then it is replaced with your own, and you then apologise profusely for the accidental mixup.
    If anyone can save Bowls in England, this Man Can http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/foo...owls-team.html .

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 13/3
    Given: 23/13

Quote Originally Posted by corptaxman View Post
    Yes, I've just been watching that match and saw the incident. Under the laws themselves (CM3 - the original 2014 publshed laws that are available online and in hard-copy format - as discussed elsewhere!) , this would seem covered by law 29.2:

"29.2 Playing another player’s bowl
    29.2.1 If a player plays another player’s bowl instead of their own, the other player’s bowl must be replaced with the player’s own bowl.
    29.2.2 If the bowl which was replaced was marked or nominated as a toucher, the player’s own bowl must be marked or nominated as a toucher."

The wrongly-played bowl would be returned, and has not been declared 'dead' (under Law 17) as suggested, so that Julie would be able to use it for her turn.

If you haven't already got a copy of the laws (I paid £1.70 + £1.30 postage for my not-up-to-date copy the other day), either get hold of a hard copy, or download from the world bowls site, but, in either case, be prepared to update it yourself as appropriate/needed!
    The original post (OP) was not actually about the CM3 Laws as I am fully conversant with these Laws having umpired at three Commonwealth Games, two World Championships, four British Isles Championships and many, many other high level events over the past 35 years as an umpire. I do not, therefore, require to obtain a copy of the CM3 Laws - I already have one and am conversant with all updates of same.

The question posed by the OP was more concerning the statement made by the commentator regarding the bowl being "lifted from the green", i.e. "Declared Dead" and wondering if this was a specific "Law" of the WBT as they do not always follow the CM3 Laws in such odd matters. Thankfully Allan Thornhill has answered the question and confirmed that the commentator was, once again, wrong in his explanation of the Laws!!
    If you don't play it you won't get it.....