Thread: Outdoors vis Indoor bowls?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0
    Given: 0/0

Default Outdoors vis Indoor bowls?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I play both, but interested in what others think about the skill level of both? I pooh, poohed, outdoor until i tried it and found it was just as difficult as indoor, but in a completely different way.

Indoor takes a few ends (if you're playing away) to find the green and pace. Yes, some greens indoor really get you going, but if you play away on a regular basis you can normally find it eventually. A slow rink can be especially testing when your home rink is quick, but during 18 ends it does come sometime during the game.

Outdoor it can be a nightmare. You find the green one end and the other end is totally different. Some have little damp patches that slows the bowls, to dry bits that give it false speed. I find outdoor more of a challenge in reading the green and getting the pace right. Then you have the weather, in rain when the green is really slow, all finesse goes and it's brut strength, I don't like these conditions to be honest. Wet cold hands, damp, cold ears, only made up by hot tea in the club house after.

Lastly. I do find outdoor players more friendly to be honest, they seem to play the game with honest enthusiasm and lack of egos. I love both, the Indoor for all the high quality competitions. The outdoor for the quant little clubs we go to around the County, and it's very friendly people.

What do you think?

RB

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 9/0
    Given: 0/0

I've only played once indoors (2nd game tomorrow!) at full-length but would, mostly, echo your thoughts on the two. I like all the vagaries of playing outside and find indoors a bit 'unatmospheric' and a bit 'samey'. My one experience of indoors, and the opponents were very friendly and accommodating, I must say: not necessarily representative perhaps, but a fine start. I'm not so anti the weather outside (even in winter) - dressing up appropriately is fairly easy these days, without being too bulky, although taking sufficient clothing can be an issue, I have much weather gear from my golfing days! On a very poor day, I like a beer after a game!The one thing I would add - mostly from my short-mat games, but it seems to apply equally to indoor/outdoor 'carpet' venues - is that playing indoors does tend show up any deficiencies in your delivery more than outdoors on grass. I was therefore very pleased to find that my outdoor game improved in 2018 after playing short mat over 2017/18 winter; I'm hoping that playing both SM and all-weather mat this winter will do the same this coming year on grass. I've actually liked the all-weather surface enough to be considering joining them as a second club for all of 2019 (although grass will take precedence). I don't think I would ever consider doing the same at an indoors club, mainly down to the type of venue and its characteristics.Incidemtally, the indoors match tomorrow is at a very different sort of venue - a small 3-rink indoors green at a large members club (where I played outside last summer), as opposed to a vast cavernous green at a commercial venue for my first 'go'. Tomorrow might change my view somewhat. I've also picked up some more bowls (Taylor Aces) as I played before with some wery wide-swinging bowls and a strong hook finish, which made life tricky to say the least.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 34/3
    Given: 1/0

[QUOTE=richardhb;1647963]I play both, but interested in what others think about the skill level of both? I pooh, poohed, outdoor until i tried it and found it was just as difficult as indoor, but in a completely different way.

Indoor takes a few ends (if you're playing away) to find the green and pace. Yes, some greens indoor really get you going, but if you play away on a regular basis you can normally find it eventually. A slow rink can be especially testing when your home rink is quick, but during 18 ends it does come sometime during the game.

Outdoor it can be a nightmare. You find the green one end and the other end is totally different. Some have little damp patches that slows the bowls, to dry bits that give it false speed. I find outdoor more of a challenge in reading the green and getting the pace right. Then you have the weather, in rain when the green is really slow, all finesse goes and it's brut strength, I don't like these conditions to be honest. Wet cold hands, damp, cold ears, only made up by hot tea in the club house after.

Lastly. I do find outdoor players more friendly to be honest, they seem to play the game with honest enthusiasm and lack of egos. I love both, the Indoor for all the high quality competitions. The outdoor for the quant little clubs we go to around the County, and it's very friendly people.

What do you think?

RB[/QUOTE Very interesting comments,slow greens are killing the putdoor game,some clubs early season for a fewweeks make it impossible for many to reach the other end,delivery skill goes out the window and throwing takes over,the players who persist with a good delivery action end up short, those who throw and bounce reach.I stopped outdoor 3 years ago, and just play indoors started 2 new indoor leagues last year with over 80 players.By the time most outdoor greens are runningwell the season is over.As for the skills required. Ido a lot of coaching indoors these days, Give me a new bowler outdoors for about 12 hours tuition and i will give you a reasonable outdoor bowler,Indoors it willbe a much longer process.The reason is obvious miss your line outdoors and finish 2-3 foot off line, do the same indoors and finishe off the rink.It is wrong to compare the two anyway they are really very different games. Outdoor players more friendly, they are often players who play both codes,and most outdoor clubs are smaller units which leads to a closer unit, if you compare a small outdoor club say 40 members,the atmosphere is goingto be more social than an indoor club with say 250.one of the reasons for that is a higher percentage of members are involved in the organisation of the small club.just enjoy which ever code you prefer or both if that suits you
    No Grey Areas