Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Bowls advice

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    8
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

    Default Bowls advice


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Iím a relative newbie, and I find the two end rinks of our indoor green fairly hard to bowl. Thereís a few issues: (1) the side ditch is only about 15 inches from the edge of the rink, so I have to bowl very accurately to get on the jack. Ironically, if you get too close to the ditch, the wood will be tighter than if you miss it by a foot ó there must be an imperceptible slope; (2) because itís at the edge, my aiming point is on the side wall, which is entirely featureless!

    Iím currently using Drakes Pride Professional. These are perfect outdoor, and good on the other indoor rinks, but I wonder whether a narrower bowl might help on the end rinks.

    A team mate has Almark Arrows, which look about the kind of bias Iím looking for. (I tend to play lead or second.) Another teammate has DP Advantage, which look too narrow.

    Problem is that Arrows are hard to find at a good price. Is there a wood with a similar draw that Iíd have a better chance of finding cheaply?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    suffolk
    Posts
    2,034
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 54/16
    Given: 2/2

    Default CarpetIf you say


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by eldad View Post
    I’m a relative newbie, and I find the two end rinks of our indoor green fairly hard to bowl. There’s a few issues: (1) the side ditch is only about 15 inches from the edge of the rink, so I have to bowl very accurately to get on the jack. Ironically, if you get too close to the ditch, the wood will be tighter than if you miss it by a foot — there must be an imperceptible slope; (2) because it’s at the edge, my aiming point is on the side wall, which is entirely featureless!

    I’m currently using Drakes Pride Professional. These are perfect outdoor, and good on the other indoor rinks, but I wonder whether a narrower bowl might help on the end rinks.

    A team mate has Almark Arrows, which look about the kind of bias I’m looking for. (I tend to play lead or second.) Another teammate has DP Advantage, which look too narrow.

    Problem is that Arrows are hard to find at a good price. Is there a wood with a similar draw that I’d have a better chance of finding cheaply?
    You dont give any indication of your rink speed which would help, i would be very surprised if the arrow was wider than the advantage,The Almark Arrow and the Edge are the tightest bowls i have seen on our 19sec carpet,also second hand ones are not often seen because they did not sell many!! Have you tried any of these models yourself? DP advantage are more readily available, andusually at a good price,JH Taylor Lazer, may be okay. And henselite Tiger 11. Or Henselite Dreamline.
    No Grey Areas

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    suffolk
    Posts
    2,034
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 54/16
    Given: 2/2

    Default Carpet


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by eldad View Post
    Iím a relative newbie, and I find the two end rinks of our indoor green fairly hard to bowl. Thereís a few issues: (1) the side ditch is only about 15 inches from the edge of the rink, so I have to bowl very accurately to get on the jack. Ironically, if you get too close to the ditch, the wood will be tighter than if you miss it by a foot ó there must be an imperceptible slope; (2) because itís at the edge, my aiming point is on the side wall, which is entirely featureless!

    Iím currently using Drakes Pride Professional. These are perfect outdoor, and good on the other indoor rinks, but I wonder whether a narrower bowl might help on the end rinks.

    A team mate has Almark Arrows, which look about the kind of bias Iím looking for. (I tend to play lead or second.) Another teammate has DP Advantage, which look too narrow.

    Problem is that Arrows are hard to find at a good price. Is there a wood with a similar draw that Iíd have a better chance of finding cheaply?
    You dont give any indication of your rink speed which would help, i would be very surprised if the arrow was wider than the advantage,The Almark Arrow and the Edge are the tightest bowls i have seen on our 19sec carpet,also second hand ones are not often seen because they did not sell many!! Have you tried any of these models yourself? DP advantage are more readily available, andusually at a good price,JH Taylor Lazer, may be okay. And henselite Tiger 11. Or Henselite Dreamline.The edge of the carpet is difficult to stretch on manygreens due to the lack of width of the ditch, that will cause the bowl to run tight.
    No Grey Areas

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    8
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

    Default


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by john haydock View Post
    You dont give any indication of your rink speed which would help, i would be very surprised if the arrow was wider than the advantage,The Almark Arrow and the Edge are the tightest bowls i have seen on our 19sec carpet,also second hand ones are not often seen because they did not sell many!! Have you tried any of these models yourself? DP advantage are more readily available, andusually at a good price,JH Taylor Lazer, may be okay. And henselite Tiger 11. Or Henselite Dreamline.The edge of the carpet is difficult to stretch on manygreens due to the lack of width of the ditch, that will cause the bowl to run tight.
    Thanks, John. I don't know our rink speed, and it would be hard to measure 27m as I'm not aware we have a long tape, and I don't know if our rink is exactly 40m or not. Sorry.

    Lazers seem pretty cheap, but I think that's too narrow for me, although I think I know someone with Lazers I could ask. Tiger II and Dreamline are both very expensive on eBay, and I don't know anyone who has those that I could try.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    suffolk
    Posts
    2,034
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 54/16
    Given: 2/2

    Default


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by eldad View Post
    Thanks, John. I don't know our rink speed, and it would be hard to measure 27m as I'm not aware we have a long tape, and I don't know if our rink is exactly 40m or not. Sorry.

    Lazers seem pretty cheap, but I think that's too narrow for me, although I think I know someone with Lazers I could ask. Tiger II and Dreamline are both very expensive on eBay, and I don't know anyone who has those that I could try.
    When carpets are stretched they check speed and usually leave the result in the office,we have a book which is filled in twice a year by Dales floors when they stretch,Second hand Dreamline should not be too expensive?The length of your green does not make any difference to the speed calculation What size are you looking for?
    No Grey Areas

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    8
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

    Default


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by john haydock View Post
    When carpets are stretched they check speed and usually leave the result in the office,we have a book which is filled in twice a year by Dales floors when they stretch,Second hand Dreamline should not be too expensive?The length of your green does not make any difference to the speed calculation What size are you looking for?
    Our green is in a leisure centre, and the staff there don't really know anything about bowls. They're much more concerned about the gym and spin room. I guess I could try again when someone else is on duty.

    You're right about Dreamlines. At the moment, eBay have a size 4 for £155, which seemed expensive (no bids!). But when I checked for "sold items" I can see two sets have gone for less than £100 in the last month. Perhaps if I'm patient I can pick a set up. I'm a size 4 (or maybe a 3).

    (When I mentioned about the length of the green, I meant that if I knew the length of the green, I could work out where 27m was by counting the spots at each end.)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    8
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

    Default


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Do you know how the original Vectors compare with the Vector VS, and whether they'd be suitable for me? There's a set on eBay at the moment at a reasonable price.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    suffolk
    Posts
    2,034
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 54/16
    Given: 2/2

    Default


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by eldad View Post
    Do you know how the original Vectors compare with the Vector VS, and whether they'd be suitable for me? There's a set on eBay at the moment at a reasonable price.
    They ere a funny lot and some were very tight,the early ones especially on slow carpets.I do. Lot of coaching and often have second hand bowls when my students buy new ones, i try and sell theold ones for them often on e bay, i have access to a set of dreamline size 3 in good condition stamped 16, with postage would probably be about £90 will ask for you if you like,
    No Grey Areas

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    8
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

    Default


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Thanks for the offer. I'm going to see if I can try out some Dreamlines. (By the way, I estimate our carpet is about 16-17 seconds.)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    suffolk
    Posts
    2,034
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 54/16
    Given: 2/2

    Default


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by eldad View Post
    Thanks for the offer. I'm going to see if I can try out some Dreamlines. (By the way, I estimate our carpet is about 16-17 seconds.)
    That is a pretty much average speed,Dreamline should perform well,good luck with them,try As many models as you can.If there is a coach about ask about practice exercises, try not to become a one length bowler, it is amazing how many bowlers struggle at say 23-25 metres
    No Grey Areas

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •