Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much force is needed to roll a bowl 2 feet further?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 9/0
    Given: 0/0

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Sounds familiar!

Eventually, you may find that adrenaline (or just fear of failure!) can be a good thing to spur you on.

One exercise I use to hep with distance control is what I was taught in golf a long time ago - putt each ball to a successively longer (or shorter) distance: imagine a ladder stretched out and aim to get a ball within each pair of rungs. You can mark distances out with tee pegs or the like. It's easier with putting, as you are generally (for the exercise) putting straight, but it can be done with bowls, too. See:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3DOS1U5oPI

which deals with chipping, but it can be applied along the ground.

Dave Pelz, the golf shortgame guru par excellence was an advocate of such drills to 'train' muscle memory etc and sought to achieve it via scientifically-based and designed experiments as meticulously as he would have employed in his days as a NASA scientist - even to the extent of buildig his own mini-robots to achieve greater consistentcy of stroke. Some of his ideas are a bit mechanical (even for me!), but they're worth considering, and some disprove long-held word-of-mouth 'advice' quite convincingly (eg re putting downhill v uphill). He wrote three books - worth dipping into.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Riche View Post
    But a mat isn't 3 feet long. It's only 2 feet (600mm). Given you wouldn't be standing on either edge then max effect of dropping say 18 inches isn't it?
    Of course you are correct but I was only making the point that weight adjustment isn't all about arm movement. Personally, I always stand as far back on the mat as legally permitted when playing to a minimum length jack

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 34/3
    Given: 1/0

Quote Originally Posted by corptaxman View Post
    No one can tell the 'actual specific force' in absolute terms required when you don't know all the circumstances involving the green, bowl and conditions. Time, judgement and, yes, practice to achieve those is a perfectly fair answer I would say. Even if you did know, it would be hard to produce it all the time, especially in match conditions, when adrenaline etc can kick in.

Why is it that top golfers and other sportsmen can judge distance and how to achieve it far better than amateurs? It ain't studying maths or physics or anything else - it's honing their inate gut feeling and going with it.

"He asked a specific question" : well, in #1 I can see no true question being asked! I could be entirely wrong but it seemed more to me to be a lament as to the difficulty of getting it right and making the correct adjustment when you don't! And that's only too true - I'm nowhere near there yet, but with time and practice and exerience I'm getting a get a bit closer.

I know I tend to overthink things - but only off the sports field or whatever; when playing, I just try to use what I have on the day.
    I guessed the reason you did not answer the question,you did not recognise it as a question,when someone starts “”can anyone tell me” that is the start of a question,enough said on this subject anyway because golf has reared its head again
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 9/0

I always like to learn from other walks of life that I have experienced and apply mutatis mutandis, but, each to their own. At least it wasn't an 'ugly head'.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0
    Given: 8/0

The question how much force is needed to add that extra bit on or take off is something i think about quite a bit. I like facts and also love researching into best techniques and this has been the only thing where I couldn't find a solid answer for. I just think there are too many variables such as, wind, temperature, grass length, grass density, atmosphere, lighting, fear, adrenaline, excitement, being ill etc. Just too much too calculate in my eyes.

This is the sort of calculation is what our brains are excellent at doing at the subconscious level and what separates good players from the rest. As MrJames said practice, practice, practice to hone this ability!

PS: If i ever find the answer, i'll let you all know. (maybe )
    You can always out-bowl your bad luck in every game!