Thread: Impaired Visibility - choice of jack ???

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Given: 0/0

Default Impaired Visibility - choice of jack ???

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Recently my eyesight has started to suffer, struggling to see the jack (and bowls) clearly at full length.

However, I've noticed that I can see a lot better with a white jack, than with a yellow one.

A question for you umpies please - am I allowed to request/demand a white jack, if one is available ? Further, if I buy my own (legal, stamped) white jack and bring it along with me, can I request/demand that we play with it ?
    I know what you're thinking. The face is familiar. Perhaps you've seen me on tv ???

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 42/3
    Given: 2/0

Quote Originally Posted by JumpingJack View Post
    Recently my eyesight has started to suffer, struggling to see the jack (and bowls) clearly at full length.

However, I've noticed that I can see a lot better with a white jack, than with a yellow one.

A question for you umpies please - am I allowed to request/demand a white jack, if one is available ? Further, if I buy my own (legal, stamped) white jack and bring it along with me, can I request/demand that we play with it ?
    Lawn bowls jacks are not stamped as such with dates etc(that is crown green),you cannot demand to use a specific jack,but surely an explanation to the other players will be acceptable reason.It used to be that every consideration be given to enable a player with a disability to help in the playing of the game. I cannot believe that has changed?It is possible that Conditions of play may indicate what jack is to be used, but unlikely.We had a similar situation outdoors last season at an outdoor club when in a final they insisted on using yellow,after a request from a player for white(recent eye operation) quite frankly the decision goes against all the game stands for, where do some of these people come from
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 20/0

Most grass clubs I've been to seem to have a selection of white/yellow jacks - and the home side lay out the jacks/mats etc being used for a match (custom rather than the law). That said, I would have no problem accomodating a player with an issue with one colour or the other, but might wonder why they had brought their own - how many clubs could check weight/diameter etc to ensure they comply with the laid-down specs?

Apart from it being the law, I wonder why the two colour-system is in place? I've seen 'practice jacks' in pink and blue and quite liked them for a change! Now that bowls can be multi-hued, does the game need to be prescriptive re jacks? There are limits, 'though as to what I would be personally happy with!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 42/3
    Given: 2/0

Quote Originally Posted by corptaxman View Post
    Most grass clubs I've been to seem to have a selection of white/yellow jacks - and the home side lay out the jacks/mats etc being used for a match (custom rather than the law). That said, I would have no problem accomodating a player with an issue with one colour or the other, but might wonder why they had brought their own - how many clubs could check weight/diameter etc to ensure they comply with the laid-down specs?

Apart from it being the law, I wonder why the two colour-system is in place? I've seen 'practice jacks' in pink and blue and quite liked them for a change! Now that bowls can be multi-hued, does the game need to be prescriptive re jacks? There are limits, 'though as to what I would be personally happy with!
    Yellow jacks were introduced for play when an abundance of white shoes are being worn.It is almost certain that anyone turning up with there own jack will either have an indoor or outdoor one,the indoor is much heavier than the outdoor,so the difference would be obvious.I can see no advantage in introducing another colour for the sake of it.
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0

Thanks for your feedback chaps.
    I know what you're thinking. The face is familiar. Perhaps you've seen me on tv ???

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 10/0
    Given: 14/0

I remember being at a match where the skip held a large paddle behind the jack to help the lead see the target.

It was a 1 foot square white board on a broom handle.

Not really very different from an extended foot or waiving a towel above the target.

It was only a club friendly and I think the general attitude was that it kept a disadvantaged bowler stay in the sport.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 20/0

One chap I've played against a few times now (friendlies) is registered blind, although he can see faintly - he uses a monocular to give himself a better view to 'sight' with.