Thread: Greens cutting up

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 53/16
    Given: 2/2

Default Greens cutting up

-4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Be interested in some views from greenkeepers on the article on Almark bowls in talk shop,someone is saying that the weight of a bowl is the cause of greens cutting up, and using a bowl a couple of ounces lighter will not.surel a properly delived bowl will not cause a playable greento cut up?
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Given: 0/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Well of course it IS a delivery problem, in the sense that if the delivery technique was "different" (in some way) then it should be possible to deliver without damage.

Consider: the delivery will have three elements of force (forward down the line of delivery, sideways/skew, and vertical). One or two of these COULD be zero. So what we consider to be a "perfect" delivery would have no downward force which potentially can damage the green, and no sideways force which would wobble the bowl upon release. In this case, the forward force (and direction) will determine the trajectory.

However, for any delivery with a downward (or upward) and/or sideways force element, it could well be that a certain surface is (perhaps) so soft/wet/thin that there is a maximum force which can be applied beyond which the green does get cut up, and the resultant trajectory is impaired.
    I know what you're thinking. The face is familiar. Perhaps you've seen me on tv ???

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Given: 0/0

And the reality is that, on quite a lot of UK outdoor surfaces nowadays, the force needed to reach a long length necessitates such excessive effort that, even for some who are considered to have reasonably smooth deliveries normally, the extra effort introduces inconsistencies into the delivery and hence, potential damage.
    I know what you're thinking. The face is familiar. Perhaps you've seen me on tv ???

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 19/3
    Given: 70/0

....but John, you've been selective with what was said. I'm not sure why, really? The actual text was: 'Not a delivery problem - it is more that some greens can sometimes have problems: root depth not very low, watered too much etc.' Our bowls green has had that exact problem. We had almost no root depth. It was very easy to take divots out, because, essentially the grass was just lying on top of the soil. The roots went down maybe half-inch only. So, using a heavyweight bowl, combined with my 'pushing' delivery, meant that divots were taken out. However, the green was not similarly affected by the lighter bowls, as my delivery and the green could cope with 5M bowls, which are 4 ounces lighter. On greens with healthy roots, or where there was a harder surface then there was no issue at all. BTW I wasn't the only one creating divots (almost everyone else was, too) - and my solution of having a slightly lighter bowl was effective in stopping divots being created by me. Others carried on with the same bowls, and continued taking divots. The real issue was the health of the root depth. Our green had become heavily compacted. There was a layer not far down that was pretty much as tough as concrete, and water was not getting through - there was no drainage. There was also, from the core sample, a layer of black rotten waste. Work done on the green over the winter (including blasting air at a deep depth) appears to have been very successful. Root depth is very good now. I think, from memory, 8 inches. Not far below that is a layer of sand, as the green is a modern green and was built to modern standards. There is also no black mouldy layer now. I am fairly confident that our green really will be one of the best in the county this year and it will be an absolute pleasure to play on it. I am also confident that I will be able to play with the heavy-weight bowls on it without an issue. I will, however, keep a set of 5M with me for if I have to play on a green that is similarly affected.

Last edited by happymrjames; 15-03-2019 at 04:04 PM.

Thumbs Up/Down

That sounds good,there are far to many poor greens about,well done your club, i know you dont agree but ifdivots are appearing it is a delivery problem,
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by happymrjames View Post
    ....but John, you've been selective with what was said. I'm not sure why, really? The actual text was: 'Not a delivery problem - it is more that some greens can sometimes have problems: root depth not very low, watered too much etc.' Our bowls green has had that exact problem. We had almost no root depth. It was very easy to take divots out, because, essentially the grass was just lying on top of the soil. The roots went down maybe half-inch only. So, using a heavyweight bowl, combined with my 'pushing' delivery, meant that divots were taken out. However, the green was not similarly affected by the lighter bowls, as my delivery and the green could cope with 5M bowls, which are 4 ounces lighter. On greens with healthy roots, or where there was a harder surface then there was no issue at all. BTW I wasn't the only one creating divots (almost everyone else was, too) - and my solution of having a slightly lighter bowl was effective in stopping divots being created by me. Others carried on with the same bowls, and continued taking divots. The real issue was the health of the root depth. Our green had become heavily compacted. There was a layer not far down that was pretty much as tough as concrete, and water was not getting through - there was no drainage. There was also, from the core sample, a layer of black rotten waste. Work done on the green over the winter (including blasting air at a deep depth) appears to have been very successful. Root depth is very good now. I think, from memory, 8 inches. Not far below that is a layer of sand, as the green is a modern green and was built to modern standards. There is also no black mouldy layer now. I am fairly confident that our green really will be one of the best in the county this year and it will be an absolute pleasure to play on it. I am also confident that I will be able to play with the heavy-weight bowls on it without an issue. I will, however, keep a set of 5M with me for if I have to play on a green that is similarly affected.

One thing puzzles me because nearly everyone else was taking divots too,so can we assume that everyone playing was not using bowls more than 4ozs less than yours because if they were they would not be taking divots,that is of course if it is not a delivery problem,and is purely weight of bowl.my experience is that the majority are not using size 5 Bowls
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 19/3
    Given: 70/0

I'm not overly sure it matters John Play with the bowl that you find most confidence and accuracy with, would seem to be appropriate advice.

Thumbs Up/Down

I think it might matter to the greenkeepers
    No Grey Areas