Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Start of the outdoor bowls season

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 5/7
    Given: 0/0

Default Start of the outdoor bowls season

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    We open our outdoor green next Sunday 14th April. Some members are complaining that is too late, while others say they won't play until May and the weather warms up a bit! I'm interested to know when other clubs open their outdoor green?
    Last edited by Barry Adams; 09-04-2019 at 09:23 AM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 8/2

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Adams View Post
    We open our outdoor green next Sunday 14th June. Some members are complaining that is too late, while others say they won't play until May and the weather warms up a bit! I'm interested to know when other clubs open their outdoor green?

I assume you mean 14 April. Our green opens sat 13.4. We used to open the first week in may, but because ladies county comps starts so early, people could not get any practice beforehand. Our opening date is always subject to the weather and can be moved if required.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 24/2

Our first 'event' is Sat. 27th April - although it is hoped to have the green open for practice before then (exactly when is uncertain this year as we are still in the throes of installing a new automatic irrigation system and have run into a snag that may involve a duff pump or pump control - electricty was seemingly not getting through to it this morning when we sought to test things before back-filling the pipe/cable trenches etc: a call for 'help/advice' to the company that sold things to us has been made!). We tend to be at least a week behind other clubs in the area, as we are out on Dartmoor - flowers etc are also at least a week later coming out up here.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0

In East Yorkshire our green us in excellent condition and opened last Friday 5th April. Its bowling well and very firm.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 53/16
    Given: 2/2

Quote Originally Posted by corptaxman View Post
    Our first 'event' is Sat. 27th April - although it is hoped to have the green open for practice before then (exactly when is uncertain this year as we are still in the throes of installing a new automatic irrigation system and have run into a snag that may involve a duff pump or pump control - electricty was seemingly not getting through to it this morning when we sought to test things before back-filling the pipe/cable trenches etc: a call for 'help/advice' to the company that sold things to us has been made!). We tend to be at least a week behind other clubs in the area, as we are out on Dartmoor - flowers etc are also at least a week later coming out up here.
    Automatic irrigation the first step in producing a slow green,most greens are over watered anyway,killingthe sport.
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 5/5
    Given: 20/0

If it's nice weather our green will open on the 15th of this month, otherwise it will be around the 22nd. This is our routine normally each year.
    You can always out-bowl your bad luck in every game!

Thumbs Up/Down

"Automatic irrigation the first step in producing a slow green,most greens are over watered anyway,killingthe sport."

Most of our club's members are spread over a wider area of Dartmoor, with only about 7 living in the small town it is situated in - we have no greenkeeper, as such, just one or two members who do most of the work. We've used tractors so far, whilst I;ve been there, and they require attention by member (who lives nearby, but even so) plus the tractors are old and can be problematic, whilst costly to replace (for what they are), and the members doing the work are getting no younger! Automatic seemed the only way to go and, if the programming is right should not result in any extra watering.

Our green is naturally heavy for most of the season anyway - it's the only grass club I've been a member of, and learnt to play there, so that seems quite natural to me. Are slow greens really 'killing the sport'? It's simply another factor to adapt to, just as we must adapt to faster greens when we play off-moor. We have two members aged about 90 and they seem to like it, despite being quite frail, and sometimes having problems with long jacks.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 5/7

Quote Originally Posted by showaddy View Post
    I assume you mean 14 April. Our green opens sat 13.4. We used to open the first week in may, but because ladies county comps starts so early, people could not get any practice beforehand. Our opening date is always subject to the weather and can be moved if required.
    Yes, sorry I meant April. Thanks for the replies so far. Greens are slower at the start of the season, I know some clubs keep the grass a mm or so longer for the first few weeks. Surely that is part of the fun and challenge of outdoor bowls? I'm surprised to hear it said that this is killing the game. Surely bowlers who like very fast can continue playing indoors?

Thumbs Up/Down

"Surely that is part of the fun and challenge of outdoor bowls?" Certainly that would be my view. Higher variation in speed between greens and over the season keeps you thinking and trying to adapt quickly.

How do other feels? Especially as regards their preference for indoor/outdoor play. I can't help thinking that it may be mainly indoor players who are less keen on the wider variations.

One could argue that slower greens place a greater emphasis on physical strength/condition, but I'm not sure that is as serious a problem either as is sometimes made out or something to be eliminated. After all, all such factors play a part in many sports.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 53/16
    Given: 2/2

Quote Originally Posted by corptaxman View Post
    "Surely that is part of the fun and challenge of outdoor bowls?" Certainly that would be my view. Higher variation in speed between greens and over the season keeps you thinking and trying to adapt quickly.

How do other feels? Especially as regards their preference for indoor/outdoor play. I can't help thinking that it may be mainly indoor players who are less keen on the wider variations.

One could argue that slower greens place a greater emphasis on physical strength/condition, but I'm not sure that is as serious a problem either as is sometimes made out or something to be eliminated. After all, all such factors play a part in many sports.
    One could argue that slower greens place a greater emphasis on physical strength (what is to argue about) I run indoor leagues in the summer and i assure you the bigest single factor as to why players are joining my leagues,is because of slow greens,it is a fact of life many bowlers are older and find it very difficult to play on slow greens,the decline in numbers in outdoor clubs is very apparent, These factors do occur in other sports,but do they occur in sports where both sexes are often competing against each other, in the same leagues, and the same matches.Someone mentioned greenkeepers leaving 1mm of extra grass on,it is not much to do with that 1mm more to do with how firm the surface is,when you walk on a green you can often feel how soft they are, a sure sign it will be heavy
    No Grey Areas