Thread: Shorts and bowls

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0
    Given: 0/0

Default Shorts and bowls

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Hello.

with the new outdoor season upon us many of us are getting the shorts ready. Now why is it that some clubs stipulate that only Bowls England branded shorts can be worn in club matches. These cost 30 a pair. So there is another 60 to find for this year. Yet my Greg Norman tailored golf shorts are smart and are in my view more that up to the smart standard required for bowls, cost 15. But now i can't wear them. One club has even stated no shorts can be worn full stop.

With club numbers dwindling country wide why are obstacles like this in place. As long as they are smart does it matter about a logo. ? With many country's in the Southern hemisphere embracing change with coloured clothing etc why are we still stuck in the past. Some club shirts i have seen are really good Colourful but few and far between.

We need to embrace change, brighten the game up, make it a bit more inviting to both seasoned bowlers and potential new bowlers.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Given: 10/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardofKent View Post
    Hello.

with the new outdoor season upon us many of us are getting the shorts ready. Now why is it that some clubs stipulate that only Bowls England branded shorts can be worn in club matches. These cost 30 a pair. So there is another 60 to find for this year. Yet my Greg Norman tailored golf shorts are smart and are in my view more that up to the smart standard required for bowls, cost 15. But now i can't wear them. One club has even stated no shorts can be worn full stop.

With club numbers dwindling country wide why are obstacles like this in place. As long as they are smart does it matter about a logo. ? With many country's in the Southern hemisphere embracing change with coloured clothing etc why are we still stuck in the past. Some club shirts i have seen are really good Colourful but few and far between.

We need to embrace change, brighten the game up, make it a bit more inviting to both seasoned bowlers and potential new bowlers.
    My club is really good in regards to clothing, as long as the shorts are white/grey or even our club colours (blue) you are allowed to wear them. But definitely agree, the game doesn't need these obstacles.
    You can always out-bowl your bad luck in every game!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 4/0

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I'm in favour of generally relaxing clothing rules. In my club, knee-length tailored shorts, such as the golf shorts you describe, are allowed. Sports shorts are not allowed UNLESS they are Bowls England sports shorts. Though you do occasionally see some of our younger members practising in sports shorts.
    We still have grumbles about dress standards, there are those who'd like us to go back to playing in a collar and tie. Thankfully, in my opinion, they are a diminishing minority. In order to attract younger members dress rules really do need to be fairly relaxed.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Adams View Post
    I'm in favour of generally relaxing clothing rules. In my club, knee-length tailored shorts, such as the golf shorts you describe, are allowed. Sports shorts are not allowed UNLESS they are Bowls England sports shorts. Though you do occasionally see some of our younger members practising in sports shorts.
    We still have grumbles about dress standards, there are those who'd like us to go back to playing in a collar and tie. Thankfully, in my opinion, they are a diminishing minority. In order to attract younger members dress rules really do need to be fairly relaxed.
    i played in one match where ties are compulsory for that club. Found it strange but understand it is their dress code rules.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 6/4
    Given: 5/0

I know one club where they check to see if you have washed behind your ears before you are allowed to play
    What a sad game, still with our world champions winning millions of pounds every year, there have to be strict dress codes and rigid rules.

Even my own club is now going for silly coloured Penguin shirts....are bow ties optional?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 7/0

Quote Originally Posted by EJB View Post
    I know one club where they check to see if you have washed behind your ears before you are allowed to play
    What a sad game, still with our world champions winning millions of pounds every year, there have to be strict dress codes and rigid rules.

Even my own club is now going for silly coloured Penguin shirts....are bow ties optional?
    At my INDOOR clubs agm last night, it was agreed after a vote to allow tailored shorts, white or grey to be worn carte blanche. There will be a change in the dress code rules immediately, but the question of matching or similar socks will also be addressed by the committee. As per the eiba regs people already play nationals in shorts.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0

The dinosaurs need a big kick up the **** to allow us all to enjoy our bowls and wear what were comfortable in, there will always be a few that take the **** but they will learn soon enough..

I'd wear shorts indoors and out if i could.

We still have clubs in our district that don't allow shorts to be worn after 6pm..

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0

Quote Originally Posted by truckertang View Post
    The dinosaurs need a big kick up the **** to allow us all to enjoy our bowls and wear what were comfortable in, there will always be a few that take the **** but they will learn soon enough..

We still have clubs in our district that don't allow shorts to be worn after 6pm..

I'm longing to hear from the fuddy duddies who can provide some justification for their antiquated views.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 36/3
    Given: 1/0

Quote Originally Posted by truckertang View Post

I would never try and justify a dress code,but allow us ALL to enjoy ourselves is to say the least a bit “I know best” i am sure there are many happy to wear track type trousers with a coloured club shirt.some clubs have coloured trousers as well. My club allows casual dress for roll ups etc.we like bowls attire for matches.As to the dress code putting youngsters off,as a coach that is not my experience,we have had many youngsters through the schools coaching,the main problem is the ones who are interested also play everything else,which often takes priority, and as for others with a phone strapped to their ear and an x-box to hand, you have no chance,people keep telling me and i am aware as i played golf for 63 years,that they have youngsters in the clubs,and most are there because there parents play,with bowls it is the Grandparents who play,so the imput is not as strong,but as for the dress code i never had a junior say to me,i will not play if i have to wear that shirt,i wonder what they wear when they play football, smart casual perhaps
    No Grey Areas