Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: 10 minutes off the green

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    around and about in essex
    Posts
    211
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 7/0
    Given: 0/0

    Default 10 minutes off the green


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I am suffering very badly with sciatica at present. Last weekend it cost me a loss in a national qualifier prelim.
    Today i went for a roll up and for the first half hour i was unable to take step forward to deliver the bowls because of the pain in my lower back and leg.
    So stopped for a cup of tea and then had another go after about 15 minutes. I was much better, bowling much more naturally and getting somewhere near the jack.
    Therefore I am asking that if i play trial ends, can i then go off the green for ten minutes to try and recover, before the game proper starts. Or does the 10 minute rule only apply once the game is underway?
    Thoughts and opinions please

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Bedfordshire
    Posts
    635
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 15/0
    Given: 53/0

    Default


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Hi, sorry to hear about your predicament - but glad that you can find some relief. I have two suggestions, one of which may be directly relevant and another might be of use. Firstly, if at all possible, you could consider having a warm-up 30 minutes before your match on an entirely different rink than the one you will be playing on. Then, go off, have a cup of tea and rest and then start again on the rink you are playing your match on. If there are spare rinks then I can see absolutely no problem with this. The ruling is that you aren't allowed to practice/play on the same rink, but warming up on a separate rink is mostly permissible. Also, it isn't like you are doing it for 'practising' and if anyone fusses then just explain why you are doing it (if you want to).

    On a different, but related note. My mum has suffered from sciatica for a number of years now and has been on high-dose pain-killers. She was very recently told of a person that did reflexology and she thought that she might as well give it a go. It has been transformative. After the first (and only) session, the reflexologist said to my mum that she thought that that might have done the trick, and that she wouldn't need to come back again (but to let her know if she needed to). My mum is now not on pain-killers and is not suffering from this pain. The day after the session she went for a walk to the local shop (as she usually does) and only realised that she hadn't taking her walking stick with her when she got to the shop. She is now walking without a stick and is off the pain-killers. All for a 30 minute, 30 one-off reflexology session. Best of luck

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    around and about in essex
    Posts
    211
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 7/0
    Given: 0/0

    Default


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by happymrjames View Post
    Hi, sorry to hear about your predicament - but glad that you can find some relief. I have two suggestions, one of which may be directly relevant and another might be of use. Firstly, if at all possible, you could consider having a warm-up 30 minutes before your match on an entirely different rink than the one you will be playing on. Then, go off, have a cup of tea and rest and then start again on the rink you are playing your match on. If there are spare rinks then I can see absolutely no problem with this. The ruling is that you aren't allowed to practice/play on the same rink, but warming up on a separate rink is mostly permissible. Also, it isn't like you are doing it for 'practising' and if anyone fusses then just explain why you are doing it (if you want to).

    On a different, but related note. My mum has suffered from sciatica for a number of years now and has been on high-dose pain-killers. She was very recently told of a person that did reflexology and she thought that she might as well give it a go. It has been transformative. After the first (and only) session, the reflexologist said to my mum that she thought that that might have done the trick, and that she wouldn't need to come back again (but to let her know if she needed to). My mum is now not on pain-killers and is not suffering from this pain. The day after the session she went for a walk to the local shop (as she usually does) and only realised that she hadn't taking her walking stick with her when she got to the shop. She is now walking without a stick and is off the pain-killers. All for a 30 minute, 30 one-off reflexology session. Best of luck

    Good idea, getting there early on another rink.. thanks for the reflexology advice, probably the only thing i have not tried in the last 5 months.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    310
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 20/0
    Given: 0/0

    Default


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Commiserations, too.

    Trying for a long-term fix is a good idea (my wife had back problems some years ago and tried a chiropractor - it afforded short-term relief, but the pain resumed after a 3-4 hours after each session. It finally turned out that the cause was the start of her spinal cancer, so I woud say that it pays to ascertain the medical cause of the problem from the outset, rather than just try to cure the symptom: you never know, and delaying correct treatment can be problematic), but you seem to need something in the short run as well.

    As to your query, from Law 5.1 it is clear that Trial Ends are not part of the game ("Before the start of play in any game...one trial end must be played..."), so requesting a break should cause no issue under the laws - it's whether the opponents agree, lthoigh I would hope they would. The so-called 10-minute rule should not apply as Law 33 applies re "Leaving the green during the course of play" and play has not yet started.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Under a rock most days
    Posts
    8,471
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 91/47
    Given: 93/8

    Default


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Do what I do, slip in a couple of Endone tablets, kills off the pains in no time, can make you sleep well after a game too, but lay off the beer.

    I had a tumor removed from the base of my spine 18 momths ago, the cancer came back now I live with a pain in the ass every day, some say it confirms that I am and always was a pain in the ass, just finished 7 weeks of radiation therapy and I get quite sore but just push through the pain, its gonna kill me, I know that, but at least I'm gonna kick the bucket doing something I love doing, so in Aussie slang, "Eat some concrete and Harden the F up".
    If anyone can save Bowls in England, this Man Can http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/foo...owls-team.html .

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    suffolk
    Posts
    1,900
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 42/3
    Given: 2/0

    Default Conditions of Play


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by corptaxman View Post
    Commiserations, too.

    Trying for a long-term fix is a good idea (my wife had back problems some years ago and tried a chiropractor - it afforded short-term relief, but the pain resumed after a 3-4 hours after each session. It finally turned out that the cause was the start of her spinal cancer, so I woud say that it pays to ascertain the medical cause of the problem from the outset, rather than just try to cure the symptom: you never know, and delaying correct treatment can be problematic), but you seem to need something in the short run as well.

    As to your query, from Law 5.1 it is clear that Trial Ends are not part of the game ("Before the start of play in any game...one trial end must be played..."), so requesting a break should cause no issue under the laws - it's whether the opponents agree, lthoigh I would hope they would. The so-called 10-minute rule should not apply as Law 33 applies re "Leaving the green during the course of play" and play has not yet started.
    Seems i am for ever going on about on about C of P ,but these come into consideration again,If as is often the case the game has a time limit including trial ends,then on completion of the trial ends the game will start.Of course you can opt out of the trial ends yourself,that would give you a 10 min break anyway.Some times it may have a time limit not including trial ends, I had a spinal injection for sciatica 2actually 6months apart it worked for me!
    No Grey Areas

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    310
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 20/0
    Given: 0/0

    Default


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I almost always plays outdoors, and have not experienced time-limited games, but clearly, if applicable, then that would be an issue needing to be taken into account. I tend to focus on the position under the CM3 Laws alone, as CoPs can vary, which I can't predict, and this forum is entitled 'Laws and Rules'.

    Pain is generally a warning that something is wrong, so it pays to get the underlying issue looked at, and I would not advocate trying to play through it on anything other than a very short-term basis. Still, it depends entirely on your circumstances and how you feel about it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    suffolk
    Posts
    1,900
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 42/3
    Given: 2/0

    Default


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by corptaxman View Post
    I almost always plays outdoors, and have not experienced time-limited games, but clearly, if applicable, then that would be an issue needing to be taken into account. I tend to focus on the position under the CM3 Laws alone, as CoPs can vary, which I can't predict, and this forum is entitled 'Laws and Rules'.

    Pain is generally a warning that something is wrong, so it pays to get the underlying issue looked at, and I would not advocate trying to play through it on anything other than a very short-term basis. Still, it depends entirely on your circumstances and how you feel about it.
    Is in impossible to play a game without C of P so they must be your rules!
    No Grey Areas

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    2,807
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 25/0
    Given: 3/0

    Default


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    It might not quite cover your question but for info the WB Laws Committee have issued a Decision to cover Law 33, it's probably too long to copy here, so here is a link:

    http://www.worldbowls.com/laws-umpir...law-decisions/
    Do not cease to drink beer, to eat, to intoxicate thyself, to make love, and to celebrate the good days. -- Ancient Egyptian Credo
    My opinions are my own not the EBUA's

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    310
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 20/0
    Given: 0/0

    Default


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    That includes: "examples of illness include any suffering caused by pre-existing medical conditions..." which this would seem to be. It does 'only' cover sitiations within L33 "during the course of play", so would not seem to strictly cover leaving the green after trial ends and before the 'proper' game has started, but I would hope that a reasonable opponent would oblige with a short delay and your taking advantage of it

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •