Thread: Cheating, mind games or fair game?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 4/0
    Given: 0/0

Default Cheating, mind games or fair game?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The first league game of the season away from home today. On one rink our opponents had a young lad, around 17, I’m told playing his first game at this level. He’s well known around his club having accompanied his granddad for several years.
    He’s playing 2 (rinks) on the rink next to mine. On their second end he finds his rink two down before his last wood. His skip asks him to draw nicely on his forehand. Instead he fires (he’s a big strong lad and the green was surprisingly pacey for the time of year), smashes into the head and kills the end to cheers all round, including his skip.
    Now on their 4th end virtually an identical situation arose, his skip clearly asked him to draw, however he fired again and missed, just. Now my two teammates on that rink, a pair of wily old goats who’ve been playing lead and two together since before a young Francis Drake took up the game rather loudly exclaimed “hard luck”, “really good effort” etc. As they crossed our opponent’s skip had a quiet word with his young number two, as you’d expect.
    So we come to the 7th end, where a similar situation arose, again the skip asked his two to draw, again he fires and misses, again my two clubmates are effusive in their “bad luck”, “you’ll hit it next time” etc. however, by now both their lead and number 3 are getting a bit exasperated with their two. Words are exchanged and a somewhat firmer dressing down issued from the skip.
    By the 10th end our opponents on that rink, who had been doing quite well, were starting to fall apart. Sure enough a replay of the 4th and 7th end occurred with the same result, and similar comments from my clubmates. By the 15th end we were easily winning across all three rinks and my clubmates decided to keep quiet. But the young lad still seemed remarkably reluctant to follow his skips orders.
    Anyway the game duly finished, shake hands all round and very friendly sandwich and pint in the bar afterwards.
    On the way home I was sharing a car with the two old boys with our club captain driving. The club captain clearly knew what was going on and gently chastised the two old boys saying he didn’t think their actions were terribly sporting. They said all they were doing was encouraging the young lad, we laughed and carried on home.
    I’m not sure who to agree with (not that it would make the slightest bit of difference) , on balance our captain is right, but it’s a serious league we’re playing in with sponsorship and prize money at the end of the season. If a bit of friendly banter gives you an advantage why not?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 42/3
    Given: 2/0

.Sounds like they have the problem not you,just get on with the game, as long as the comments are not when they are in possession of the rink If they are then they may claim he is being annoyed.
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 95/6
    Given: 28/5

Can’t see any problem with that. If they were shouting miss it miss it whilst it was on the way up the rink then that would be a bit naughty.
    i think the Aussies call this sledging (cos they don’t have much snow so don’t know what sledging really is).
    doubt the young chap will be playing with that skip again though
    It's a simple game really!!!
    Commonwealth Games Technical Official - Manchester 2002, Melbourne 2006, Delhi 2010, Glasgow 2014, Gold Coast 2018

www.allanthornhill.com or Contact me directly @ Ask Umpy

Any comments made by me on this Forum are my personal opinions only and not those of the World Bowls Laws Committee or the English Bowls Umpires Association

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Given: 15/0

Nothing wrong with what they did if it's a serious league match etc, it's down to the skip on the young lads team to address things etc and looks like he didn't do a good job at it. Even if it was a serious match i wouldn't do what the 2 gents did though, so each to their own.
    You can always out-bowl your bad luck in every game!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 16/1
    Given: 91/0

Nothing wrong with that at all. They were gently "pushing his buttons" without crossing the line.

Their skip clearly had no control over his 2 and that's his and the club's issue to sort out when it comes to team selections in future.

Also surprised at the 2's rather selfish attitude, especially if - as you say - he's followed his Grandad around for years watching him etc...

Clearly needs calming down a bit.