Thread: Bowls Lifter

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 47/3
    Given: 2/0

Default Bowls Lifter

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Heard a discussion the other day,when a player objected to a lifter being placed on the green.A player at the head placed his lifter on the green behind the head,and was standing next to it? After this when he needed it to lift a bowl he did so then walked to the back of the rink and placed the lifter over the bank ,everytime he needed it same proceedure, this took time and annoyed the complainer.Never heard of this problem before,Told them to grow up and get on with the game, which upset them both!!!
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 5/1
    Given: 8/0

Quote Originally Posted by john haydock View Post
    Heard a discussion the other day,when a player objected to a lifter being placed on the green.A player at the head placed his lifter on the green behind the head,and was standing next to it? After this when he needed it to lift a bowl he did so then walked to the back of the rink and placed the lifter over the bank ,everytime he needed it same proceedure, this took time and annoyed the complainer.Never heard of this problem before,Told them to grow up and get on with the game, which upset them both!!!
    And they wonder why the game is dying!!!
    Always willing to learn!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 20/0
    Given: 0/0

I've played against a few people who've used these - but can't recall what they did with them when not in actual use: it ceryainly couldn't have been obtrusive in any way.

Was the person complaining about it being left on or off...or both....the green? It would make more sense for the person to keep it by him, to speed things up and to save him possibly unnecessary walking if he's disabled, and they are fairly light, but I can't see there should be a real issue either way as long as he didn't take a silly amount of time to retrieve it.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by corptaxman View Post
    I've played against a few people who've used these - but can't recall what they did with them when not in actual use: it ceryainly couldn't have been obtrusive in any way.

Was the person complaining about it being left on or off...or both....the green? It would make more sense for the person to keep it by him, to speed things up and to save him possibly unnecessary walking if he's disabled, and they are fairly light, but I can't see there should be a real issue either way as long as he didn't take a silly amount of time to retrieve it.
    As i said lifter onthe green, i guess the complainer has been reading Law34.With the mat up the person using the lifter could be walking 12metres each way to play one bowl,how stupid is that
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down

The query also said the complainer was annoyed when the lifter was left on the bank - so a double complaint! Presumably, the lifter-owner only placed it there when the first complaint (left on the green) was made, so complying with a complaint should hardly be considered 'annoying'! I think I would have told the complainer to make up his mind: if he wants it off the green, he has to put up with the consequences.

Can Law 34 apply when the article is something permitted for use? Seems a bit crazy if it can.

Thumbs Up/Down

QUOTE=corptaxman;1648694]The query also said the complainer was annoyed when the lifter was left on the bank - so a double complaint! Presumably, the lifter-owner only placed it there when the first complaint (left on the green) was made, so complying with a complaint should hardly be considered 'annoying'! I think I would have told the complainer to make up his mind: if he wants it off the green, he has to put up with the consequences.

Can Law 34 apply when the article is something permitted for use? Seems a bit crazy if it can.[/QUOTE]Still not sure what you are reading, who said it was placed on the bank
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down

No-one did, but you did say:#1 "... so then walked to the back of the rink and placed the lifter over the bank", which is what - I assume - gave rise to the distance aspect that was the point of the 2nd complaint mentioned. My appologies, I should have been more precise and not have used the word "on" but, rather, "over".

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by corptaxman View Post
    No-one did, but you did say:#1 "... so then walked to the back of the rink and placed the lifter over the bank", which is what - I assume - gave rise to the distance aspect that was the point of the 2nd complaint mentioned. My appologies, I should have been more precise and not have used the word "on" but, rather, "over".
    Why do i get the impression it was my fault,i do not think on or over is a case of not being precise. Thanks anyway
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down

I've apologised for my loose wording. The impressions you 'get' are up to you, of course, and unfathomable to me.