Thread: Wrong rink markings

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 1/1

Default Wrong rink markings

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    My wife has just played a county 2 wood singles match and after the trial ends went up 4-0. She then mentioned to her opponent that the rink markings didn't look quite right (the rink number wasn't quite central). Her opponent agreed and demanded that the markings be corrected and the match be restarted at 0-0. Naturally my wife went on to lose in a close match. Surely as both players had played trial ends, then played 2 ends proper the match shouldn't have been restarted at 0-0. Is this correct?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 7/0
    Given: 6/0

Although it doesn't address the centre marker, 49.8 directs players who discover an incorrectly positioned boundary peg to complete the end, fix it, and continue the game. There are no provisions to restart.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 19/0
    Given: 61/0

I agree. Where does it say in the rules that games should be re-started for this? I would suggest getting a rule book. Put it in your bowls bag (same for your wife). And then, give it to opponents who make claims about rules and ask them to point to the definitive rule that backs up what they are demanding. I think this would solve most problems. I have one in my bag - only had to do this twice, but on both occasions the opponent was unable to find a rule that backed them up (and in one case tried to bluff that the rule was in there but they couldn't be bothered to actually have to find it and that I would just have to accept their view that the rule existed...... ha ha. no chance. Show the rule or shut up).

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 97/6
    Given: 32/5

absolutely agree with mrjames and farside
    There is nothing in the laws that would demand a restart of a match for an incorrectly placed marker, being it a side boundary or a centre marker
    Law 49.8 specifically talks about boundary pegs but commonsense would dictate that the same would apply for an offset centre line. Indeed if a boundary maker is in the incorrect position you would need to check the centre mark anyway.
    Certainly no grounds for restarting again.
    It's a simple game really!!!
    Commonwealth Games Technical Official - Manchester 2002, Melbourne 2006, Delhi 2010, Glasgow 2014, Gold Coast 2018

www.allanthornhill.com or Contact me directly @ Ask Umpy

Any comments made by me on this Forum are my personal opinions only and not those of the World Bowls Laws Committee or the English Bowls Umpires Association

Thumbs Up/Down

Thanks guys - just as I thought. Worryingly it was actually the umpire covering the games who agreed with the opponent and made the decision to restart the match. If I had been there I think I would have questioned this a little more vigorously.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 47/3
    Given: 2/0

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Manxmano View Post
    Thanks guys - just as I thought. Worryingly it was actually the umpire covering the games who agreed with the opponent and made the decision to restart the match. If I had been there I think I would have questioned this a little more vigorously.
    strange because the umpire should check the green before play, was this a qualified umpire or a competent person
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down

Not sure as I wasn't there in person. However, probably just a competent person, but nevertheless as it was a county comp lessons to be learned!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 91/47
    Given: 93/8

Even without going to the book, isn't it the Umpires list of duties something about checking rinks before the start of play?

Never seen it happen in over 40 years in my neck of the woods, but sure its there somewhere.

So blame the Umpire.
    If anyone can save Bowls in England, this Man Can http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/foo...owls-team.html .

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 19/0
    Given: 61/0

For games when an official umpire is present, then yes, I pretty much always see umpires checking the green - measuring, rink marks, signage etc etc - as their first task on arrival to the green. Some great people are umpires - giving up their time to facilitate our competitive play! The above game might have been at an event where lots of county 2 wood games are played on the same green at the same time (as they are in our county) - and generally, an umpire is present. However, not all rounds of competitions have umpires available. If blame anyone/anything - then blame the lack of an available rule-book...... and go out and buy one

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 47/3
    Given: 2/0

Default Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Manxmano View Post
    Not sure as I wasn't there in person. However, probably just a competent person, but nevertheless as it was a county comp lessons to be learned!
    If it was a qualified umpire he needs some guidance from the E.B. U. A,
    No Grey Areas