Thread: Match curtailment due to bad weather

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 4/0
    Given: 0/0

Default Match curtailment due to bad weather

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    We played an away league match last week (triples) in poor weather. The captain's had discussed before the match started playing just 12 ends (the minimum stipulated in the league rules) but had not agreed on this, that was clear. After the 12th end had been played the home captain, whose team were two shots up overall, announced that he was cold and wet and called his team off. None of our team and several players from the home team wanted to stop. In their opinion the green was playable and, while unpleasant, the rain wasn't heavy enough or persistent enough to warrant stopping playing. However the match was ended at that point with the home team picking up the points. Our captain complained to the league's controlling body but they came down on the home team's side.
    CM v3.1 rules Section 2.2 Factors Affecting Play isn't terribly helpful. It appears to suggest both captains must agree to a match finishing early? Clearly this didn't happen in this case. Having said all of that I'm in little doubt had the away team been winning the away captain would have taken up the option of finishing the game were it offered. I also strongly suspect the home captain wouldn't have offered it.
    I suspect this is one of those tricky areas not fully covered in the rules?
    Anyone got any thoughts on how this should have played out? Or, indeed, able to point to another rule or law that clarifies the issue?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 16/1
    Given: 92/0

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Adams View Post
    We played an away league match last week (triples) in poor weather. The captain's had discussed before the match started playing just 12 ends (the minimum stipulated in the league rules) but had not agreed on this, that was clear. After the 12th end had been played the home captain, whose team were two shots up overall, announced that he was cold and wet and called his team off. None of our team and several players from the home team wanted to stop. In their opinion the green was playable and, while unpleasant, the rain wasn't heavy enough or persistent enough to warrant stopping playing. However the match was ended at that point with the home team picking up the points. Our captain complained to the league's controlling body but they came down on the home team's side.
    CM v3.1 rules Section 2.2 Factors Affecting Play isn't terribly helpful. It appears to suggest both captains must agree to a match finishing early? Clearly this didn't happen in this case. Having said all of that I'm in little doubt had the away team been winning the away captain would have taken up the option of finishing the game were it offered. I also strongly suspect the home captain wouldn't have offered it.
    Anyone got any thoughts on how this should have played out? Or, indeed, able to point to another rule or law that clarifies the issue?
    It sounds like he knows the ruling about playing the minimum 12 ends before any result stands, but just because he is a bit cold and wet he has not right to end the game and then claim a victory! If the green is still playable, you carry on. But if he wants to come off and you're happy to continue - albeit a bit cold - then in my mind he's forfeiting the game.

I've only ever been involved in 2 situations where this has occurred.

1) MC group game, hammering down all afternoon. Neither team could qualify so it was a dead rubber. So it was agreed between both teams either before we started or maybe after a few ends that we'd play the 12 ends and if the weather didn't let up then whatever the score was at 12 ends would stand.

2) A 4 rink league match against another club, think it got to about 16-17 ends and the heavens opened up. It was torrential for a good 45mins to an hour. Then it started to ease off. It's then another 30-45mins for the green to drain, by which time both sets of players had pretty much settled to stay in the bar! I was club captain on this occasion and agreed to let the score stand as it was.

So in my opinion, if the green was still playable, and you were happy to carry on, you should've stayed out there and he would have had to make a choice. Carry on, or forfeit the game.
    Last edited by Wingnut!!; 14-05-2019 at 09:13 AM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 47/3
    Given: 2/0

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Adams View Post
    I would ask the controlling body to clarify their Conditions of Play for any match affected by inclement weather, CM laws cannot legislate for every leagues C of P
    No Grey Areas