Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frustration & Anger Affecting My Game

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 4/0
    Given: 17/0

Default Frustration & Anger Affecting My Game

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I'm at a very familiar junction in my life at the moment where i'm at a certain skill level in a particular thing (this case bowls) and frustration which leads to anger is stopping me from becoming great. In the past I would of just given up at this point and found something else to do instead, but I really want to try and persevere this time and actually become great at something instead of giving up.

The trouble is though I'm always expecting a certain level from myself and get easily frustrated when things don't go the way i want them to. It'll get to a certain point in a match where i go from frustrated to angry and after that happens the rest of my game just tanks and even if i draw a wood within a foot of the jack I'm still not happy.

Has anyone got any tips or resources they could share with me? If i can get past this behaviour and start controlling my emotions i honestly believe my game performance will increase ten folds. I've gone through the whole of this sub forum and only found perhaps 3 threads on this (they are a few years old) and the whole count to ten doesn't really work lol
    You can always out-bowl your bad luck in every game!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 19/0
    Given: 65/0

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Hiya, I can absolutely help with this. I've tried to resolve these issues for many years and was at the very real point of giving up, as my performances and results did not come anywhere close to what I thought I should be achieving. I read many coaching books - trying desperately to understand what was going wrong, but they really did not help in any positive way. Until.......

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mindset-Men...gateway&sr=8-1

This book started a massive change in my game. It is more focussed on tennis, but the ideas are transferrable. It has revolutionised/transformed my game. I've spent much time working through the ideas of this book and there are follow up resources (which you might want to try first), which are even more helpful.

This link is a good one to follow:

https://friendlyeyes.com/index.php/discover/

The web resource that I just listed is essentially free, although you can donate some money if you think it was worthwhile.
    I honestly cannot recommend this enough. Within the same year of reading this book for the first time I took my triples team to Leamington. Last year, I reached two quarter-finals of county comps and also won the county triples, and also reached the final of the Bournemouth tournament pairs. Results that I would not have achieved without the help of these resources.

The biggest positive that I found from these resources is that I re-learned to enjoy playing, rather than focusing just on winning and getting frustrated when things didn't work well.

Best of luck.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by happymrjames View Post
    Hiya, I can absolutely help with this. I've tried to resolve these issues for many years and was at the very real point of giving up, as my performances and results did not come anywhere close to what I thought I should be achieving. I read many coaching books - trying desperately to understand what was going wrong, but they really did not help in any positive way. Until.......

This book started a massive change in my game. It is more focussed on tennis, but the ideas are transferrable. It has revolutionised/transformed my game. I've spent much time working through the ideas of this book and there are follow up resources (which you might want to try first), which are even more helpful.

The web resource that I just listed is essentially free, although you can donate some money if you think it was worthwhile.
    I honestly cannot recommend this enough. Within the same year of reading this book for the first time I took my triples team to Leamington. Last year, I reached two quarter-finals of county comps and also won the county triples, and also reached the final of the Bournemouth tournament pairs. Results that I would not have achieved without the help of these resources.

The biggest positive that I found from these resources is that I re-learned to enjoy playing, rather than focusing just on winning and getting frustrated when things didn't work well.

Best of luck.

Thanks so much mate, will give those resources a gander.

Thumbs Up/Down

If you are interested, we could also link up via e-mail and chat through some of this stuff. I'm also in Bedfordshire, so I'm sure that we could meet up for a game at one of our clubs as well. Let me know

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 16/1
    Given: 92/0

Best of luck.
    Well done in turning your game around.

Just out of interest, where did you qualify out of (club/county) in the Triples last season?

We did as well, and I wonder if our paths may have crossed at some point?

Thumbs Up/Down

If you are interested, we could also link up via e-mail and chat through some of this stuff. I'm also in Bedfordshire, so I'm sure that we could meet up for a game at one of our clubs as well. Let me know
    I would love to mate By any chance you aren't bowling tonight in the County Fours are you haha?

Thumbs Up/Down

Are we playing against each other then?

Thumbs Up/Down

....last year's triples was the Crawley....the year before was the county/Leamington one

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnut!! View Post
    Well done in turning your game around.

Just out of interest, where did you qualify out of (club/county) in the Triples last season?

We did as well, and I wonder if our paths may have crossed at some point?

Thumbs Up/Down

Are we playing against each other then?
    Quite possibly

Thumbs Up/Down

Ha ha. Love it