Thread: Best scoring system?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 11/0
    Given: 0/0

Default Best scoring system?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I have been asked to suggest the beat way to determine the best team from a squad of 12 playing only 3 rounds. Any suggestions?

I am a fan of a league format where everyone plays everyone else, but if time is limited, that is not an option. So how do we get to a winner (and relative strength) among 12 teams if we can only play 3 rounds/ games??

First round draw and then strength vs strength is an option. S vs S is good to give a winner, but other positions are not accurate in my humble opinion.

Looking forward to your responses.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 8/0

Round 1 - 6 vs 6 (knockout)
    Round 2 - 3 vs 3 (knockout for the winners). The losers play against each other 3 vs 3 (keep scoring shot differentials)
    Round 3 - 2 semi final winners with the highest winning margins play the final.
    The others that were "knocked out" play in the 2nd and 3rd rounds and those with the highest shot differential get the ranked positions (3rd to 12th).
    After the 3 rounds you will have a ranking from winner to 12th position (part knockout, and part shot differential).
    A bit tough on the semi final winner (round 2) that didn't make the final. But the rules are clear.

Thumbs Up/Down

Also for the losers in round 2 and round 3, best to do a random draw (but do it in a way that teams do not play each other twice)

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 4/0

Thanks guys, I've been asked to organise a comp with 12 teams over 4 rounds (on a 6 rink indoor green). It's not until early next year so I'd not given it a great deal of thought. But I can tweak Henry's suggestion and it should work (round 3 being the semi with the 3 winners of round 2 plus best shot difference of the others)?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 11/0

Thanks HenryWalker. Makes sense and I like the idea of a draw rather than pure strength vs strength. To further develop this concept... After one round, draw top 6 and bottom 6 separately, then after round two you will have top 3 plus one with highest points and shot difference for a draw to play two finals plus the rest in a separate draw. In the end points and shot difference determines the winner and ranking.

Thumbs Up/Down

Yes, people like knockout (well known) and random draws also popular. 2 Finals is a good idea. More prizes! For Barry the round 3 could be 2 semi finals using Nico's idea of the best points and shot differential to get the 4th semi finalist. Round 4 the final.