Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 46

Thread: Foot Faulting

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Somewhere West of Glasgow
    Posts
    924
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 13/3
    Given: 28/14

    Default


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Delivery starts when, after taking up a stance on the mat, the player moves their arm in such a way as to allow the bowl to be released towards the jack. The time between taking up "the stance" and delivering the bowl is at the players discretion.
    What is not allowable is to take up a stance behind the mat and stepping forward whilst commencing the delivery "swing" before placing all, or part, of the foot on the mat.
    If you don't play it you won't get it.....

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    435
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 25/3
    Given: 0/0

    Default


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Would you include or exclude the backswing in your definition?

    I would exclude - it seems to me that the backswing has no real purpose other than to get the arm (and hence bowl) in a suitable position to commence the through-swing which ultimately results in the bowls release. I hesitate to keep harping on about golf, but I have most experience there, and it is essentilly similar in this, and some other, areas: there, it has been shown, both with humans and purpose-built robots, that there is little if any difference in the result between a full back/through swing and one where the body position/club is simply 'placed' at the top: the backswing has no effect, so should not be regarded as integral, even if there is no peceptible pause.
    Last edited by corptaxman; 09-06-2019 at 07:48 AM.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    North Lincolnshire
    Posts
    468
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 33/5
    Given: 24/6

    Default


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by john haydock View Post
    When the player steps back off the mat the delivery is aborted any further actions are part of a new delivery. He must now place one foot in the correct place and deliver his bowl
    Can you quote the law that relates to that please because I can't find anything that says stepping back off the mat is an aborted delivery. I can only find reference (in law 7) to standing on the mat before delivery and having one foot on or over the mat at the moment of delivery, nothing about what happens in between, those are the black and white bits unless you're making your own laws up. No grey areas eh?
    Last edited by Batman Jazz; 10-06-2019 at 10:10 PM.
    Insert clever witticism or profound statement
    and some sort of link which makes you look cool...

    HERE

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    435
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 25/3
    Given: 0/0

    Default


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    No law that I know of, but simply common sense.

    I regard the verb 'to abort' as connoting "to cause something to stop or fail before it begins or before it is complete" ( a quote, but it meets my idea). In terms of a bowls delivery, I cannot really believe anyone would start their delivery (however defined - backswing or not!), step off the mat, hold the pose at that point and then step back on to continue and complete the action - possible, of course, but so contrived as to be ignored. So, if it hadn't started, the intention to deliver by stepping onto the mat in the first place has been 'stopped before it began/was implemented',ie aborted, and the player starts from scratch.

    The laws surely only need to cover elements of importance or possible contention - and what happens before an action begins (unless it interferes with an opponent) does not need to be specifically covered!

    Oh! dear - I seem to be in agreement with someone!

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    suffolk
    Posts
    2,075
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 56/16
    Given: 2/2

    Default Common sense


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Batman Jazz View Post
    Can you quote the law that relates to that please because I can't find anything that says stepping back off the mat is an aborted delivery. I can only find reference (in law 7) to standing on the mat before delivery and having one foot on or over the mat at the moment of delivery, nothing about what happens in between, those are the black and white bits unless you're making your own laws up. No grey areas eh?
    I am fully conversant with the Laws and do not need to make them up!! This is a Law of common sense!!!
    No Grey Areas

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    West London la la la
    Posts
    3,094
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 16/1
    Given: 92/0

    Default


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    When does a postman's delivery start?


  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    suffolk
    Posts
    2,075
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 56/16
    Given: 2/2

    Default Like it get him a club shirt?


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingnut!! View Post
    When does a postman's delivery start?

    He plays at our club
    No Grey Areas

  8. #38
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    North Lincolnshire
    Posts
    468
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 33/5
    Given: 24/6

    Default


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by john haydock View Post
    I am fully conversant with the Laws and do not need to make them up!! This is a Law of common sense!!!
    With all due respect, it's not a law of common sense, you made it up. The law on foot faulting is laid out as in Law 7 and makes reference to two points in time, BEFORE delivery standing on the mat and AT THE MOMENT OF DELIVERY. It does not say what you must or mustn't do in between those two points in time. For you to say the delivery is aborted is simply not the case as the law doesn't cover the time frame between those two points and it doesn't say stepping off the mat aborts the delivery.

    For your point to be correct, the law should state that the delivery sequence should commence with standing on the mat and UP TO AND AT the moment of delivery, at least part of one foot should remain on or over the mat at all times. But it doesn't so although you may think it, you can't say that stepping backwards off the mat is an aborted delivery. The law as written is the law and no grey areas.
    Insert clever witticism or profound statement
    and some sort of link which makes you look cool...

    HERE

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    suffolk
    Posts
    2,075
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 56/16
    Given: 2/2

    Default


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Batman Jazz View Post
    With all due respect, it's not a law of common sense, you made it up. The law on foot faulting is laid out as in Law 7 and makes reference to two points in time, BEFORE delivery standing on the mat and AT THE MOMENT OF DELIVERY. It does not say what you must or mustn't do in between those two points in time. For you to say the delivery is aborted is simply not the case as the law doesn't cover the time frame between those two points and it doesn't say stepping off the mat aborts the delivery.

    For your point to be correct, the law should state that the delivery sequence should commence with standing on the mat and UP TO AND AT the moment of delivery, at least part of one foot should remain on or over the mat at all times. But it doesn't so although you may think it, you can't say that stepping backwards off the mat is an aborted delivery. The law as written is the law and no grey areas.
    Think what you like ,but i can assure you if a player steps off the mat his delivery has been aborted,If a player is about to bowl and is distracted by anything and steps off the mat he has aborted his delivery,It says in the Law book that not every situation can be covered ,and in this case common sense must prevail,Many years as a National Umpire and your logic is beyond me
    No Grey Areas

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    435
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 25/3
    Given: 0/0

    Default


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    What about the real outstanding matter here: "Would you include or exclude the backswing in your definition?"

    Or: are you thinking that a player could 'start' his delivery on the mat, step off, walk backwards sufficiently and then run up?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •