Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Foot Faulting

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 47/3
    Given: 2/0

Default Long enough

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by corptaxman View Post
    What about the real outstanding matter here: "Would you include or exclude the backswing in your definition?"

Or: are you thinking that a player could 'start' his delivery on the mat, step off, walk backwards sufficiently and then run up?
    We are going back to cover old ground,i thought it was too good to be true that common sense would prevail, .my last comment,
    Last edited by john haydock; 11-06-2019 at 08:33 PM.
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 20/0
    Given: 0/0

John, you believe that there are no grey areas and that the laws adequately reflect that in all ways - as a result you read them accordingly, to give what you believe the position should be (and, mostly, is). However, that is the wrong way to do things. The correct way, as BJ has said, should be to read the laws as they are written and see what they actually say. It is only if the laws do not cover a situation that common sense should reign. Here, the law is clear, and does cover the overal situation being considered - and, again, as has been said law 7 only mention two points in time. Batman therefore arguably has a point - even if it defies common sense. That may not be platable to you, but if it is the case, then we have to recognise it.

I believe that the point of commencement of delivery is important in all regards. If I am right, in that delivery only commences with the downswing, it may not be pretty but it seems to answer the main concerns - here, at least. It has been said that law 7 was introduced to prevent running up and thereby gaining an advantage, which can only be of two types: firstly, releasing the bowl further forward than might otherwise be achived, and that is directly answered by the second part of law 7 requiring a foot on/above the mat at release; secondly, extra momentum gains through the run up, but that can only be gained if the downswing is commenced back off the mat - if so, then delivery would have commenced off the mat and so not be allowed under the first part of law 7; if the downswing has not been commenced off the mat, even with a run-up, is there any perceptible momentum gain that needs to be countered? I suspect not.

Why can't I get a simple answer to my (and, let's not forget, the original questioner's) question, and why is never Def.C3 mentioned - how are you reflecting it in your replies? Is C3 being ignored? If you re-write Law 7 with direct substitution of C3 , it reads:

"Before deliberately releasing a jack or bowl a player must be standing on the mat with all or part of at least one foot on the mat. At the moment they deliberately release the jack or a bowl, the player must have all or part of one foot on or above the mat"

This makes it far easier to look at things.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 4/0
    Given: 16/0

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Apologies if I've missed anything but there's a lot of text in this thread lol.

My reading of the rules is that as long as you have one foot or part of a foot on the mat at the end of the delivery, who cares if you do hop-skip-jump to your delivery? In my eyes as long as your delivery FINISHES on the mat it's legal.

Corp you are way over thinking this my man.
    You can always out-bowl your bad luck in every game!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 19/0
    Given: 61/0

Nick, you went and did it didn't you. Only went and started the thread of doom that should have died a death about 40 posts ago. Hopefully everyone will forgive you, and will promise not to add anything more

Best of luck on Sunday!!!!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 47/3
    Given: 2/0

No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 4/0
    Given: 16/0

Quote Originally Posted by happymrjames View Post
    Nick, you went and did it didn't you. Only went and started the thread of doom that should have died a death about 40 posts ago. Hopefully everyone will forgive you, and will promise not to add anything more

Best of luck on Sunday!!!!

Thanks mate
    You can always out-bowl your bad luck in every game!