Thread: Handicap pairs- Shots or ends?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 4/0
    Given: 0/0

Default Handicap pairs- Shots or ends?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    In line with other pairs competitions (and triples and rinks) we play our handicap pairs over a set number of ends (21 ends) rather than, say, first pair to reach 21 shots. Some of our members insist that for a handicap competition to be fair it needs to be on shots rather than ends? How do other clubs approach handicap pairs (shots or ends)?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 19/0
    Given: 61/0

In my brother's club they approach the handicap pairs not through shots or ends (to differentiate), but on 'pools' of players to create the teams. So, if there are 16 people wanting to play in the competition, then the top players are seeded into one group and the rest are put in the other group. Each team is then made up from one from each of the groups. Seems a good idea to me. No need then to come up with additional handicaps......

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 4/0
    Given: 0/0

Quote Originally Posted by happymrjames View Post
    In my brother's club they approach the handicap pairs not through shots or ends (to differentiate), but on 'pools' of players to create the teams. So, if there are 16 people wanting to play in the competition, then the top players are seeded into one group and the rest are put in the other group. Each team is then made up from one from each of the groups. Seems a good idea to me. No need then to come up with additional handicaps......
    Our mixed triples tournament is seeded in the manner you describe, and indeed it does create a very good competition. However, the competition I have in mind is our mixed pairs which is often married couples. It has always been run as a handicap, until about 4 years ago it was first pair to 21 shots, subsequently it's played over 21 ends. This change was controversial at the time and still provokes debate.