Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Difficulty in reaching

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 5/2
    Given: 8/0

Default Difficulty in reaching

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Help, please. I've just started instructing a lady "of a certain age" who is not able to send a 00 bowl halfway up the green. I've tried a number of my solutions - bigger backswing, longer follow through, longer step forward, delivering the jack into the ditch (even this was beyond her). Is there a solution or is this one of those (very rare) occasions where bowls is not their game?
    Always willing to learn!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 8/0
    Given: 0/0

Ask her to bowl a tennis ball 5 yards. Once reasonable at that, then try to get her to increase the distance - 7 yards, 10 yards, 15 yards, etc until about 25 yards. During this time make sure she is bowling and not just "chucking" it. Obviously there are many ways to "bowl" the bowl, but needs to be comfortable with it, and able to get it away reasonably smoothly and the delivery hand close to the grass.
    If she can get to 25 yards with a tennis ball, then she should be able to handle a 00 bowl to that distance. It can actually be harder to get a tennis ball to 25 yards, but its less intimidating, and will build a bit of confidence.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 53/16
    Given: 2/2

Quote Originally Posted by 1940mike View Post
    Help, please. I've just started instructing a lady "of a certain age" who is not able to send a 00 bowl halfway up the green. I've tried a number of my solutions - bigger backswing, longer follow through, longer step forward, delivering the jack into the ditch (even this was beyond her). Is there a solution or is this one of those (very rare) occasions where bowls is not their game?
    It is not unusual to find players who cannot reach far,blame it on slow greens, that apart there is a physical strength needed,you cannot coach that, You may find that in these circumstances a slight bounce is easier to achieve length, because a perfect delivery when the bowls contacts the ground at point of delivery reduces slightly the forward motion, might help
    No Grey Areas

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by henrywalker View Post
    Ask her to bowl a tennis ball 5 yards. Once reasonable at that, then try to get her to increase the distance - 7 yards, 10 yards, 15 yards, etc until about 25 yards. During this time make sure she is bowling and not just "chucking" it. Obviously there are many ways to "bowl" the bowl, but needs to be comfortable with it, and able to get it away reasonably smoothly and the delivery hand close to the grass.
    If she can get to 25 yards with a tennis ball, then she should be able to handle a 00 bowl to that distance. It can actually be harder to get a tennis ball to 25 yards, but its less intimidating, and will build a bit of confidence.
    Thanks, HW, I'll certainly give this a try.
    Always willing to learn!

Thumbs Up/Down

Thanks, John
    Always willing to learn!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 19/3
    Given: 70/0

Depending on physical strength and other issue, it might just be that the indoor game is more suitable than the outdoor game?

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by happymrjames View Post
    Depending on physical strength and other issue, it might just be that the indoor game is more suitable than the outdoor game?
    You may well be right!
    Always willing to learn!

Thumbs Up/Down

I tried everything to get my wife to reach a long jack, one thing that helped was a walk through delivery.
    She stood one pace behind the mat both feet together, stepped forward with right foot onto mat then stepping straight through forward with left foot and delivering bowl in one movement, sort of one two three non stop movement, the whole body weight then is behind the bowl.
    One word of warning watch out if protection mats are down because it's possible to catch a foot under the edge and go flat on her face.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 23/2

I won't go there; I won't go there.....

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 53/16
    Given: 2/2

Default Laws and rules

Quote Originally Posted by Wickey View Post
    I tried everything to get my wife to reach a long jack, one thing that helped was a walk through delivery.
    She stood one pace behind the mat both feet together, stepped forward with right foot onto mat then stepping straight through forward with left foot and delivering bowl in one movement, sort of one two three non stop movement, the whole body weight then is behind the bowl.
    One word of warning watch out if protection mats are down because it's possible to catch a foot under the edge and go flat on her face.
    Hi Wickey(corptaxman is being very cautious) if you look at laws and rules section recent discussion on foot faulting, you will understand why. (Sorry did not reply before 2days at Wimbledon)
    No Grey Areas